Saturday, February 13, 2010

Train Wreck, thy name is Slovakian Women's Hockey

Slovakia would have needed three touchdowns and at least one point-after to win the game.

Unfortunately, it was not a football game. It was a hockey game. The Canadian Women's Hockey Team beat the Slovakian team 18-0. With that win, Canada passed the old women's Olympic record, also set by Canada, of 16-0 against Japan.

Canada fell away as the game went on. They scored 7 in the first period, 6 in the second, and 5 in the third. Heads should roll.

Fay and I watched the game. It was one of those things from which you could not turn away.

It was good to see the home team win. But I am still pulling for the US.

12 comments:

  1. "It was good to see the home team win. AND I am still pulling for CANADA"

    There you go darling, I fixed it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With that win, Canada passed the old women's Olympic record, also set by Canada, of 16-0 against Japan."

    Well if the old women can set a record, the young women are a shoo in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canada Rules!

    /coughs modestly

    Earl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Earl! It's good to "see" you. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo, more Canadians! Hi Earl, I'm glad you paid us a visit. Hope you'll stick around.

    BTW if you don't want to show up as anonymous you can do one of two things:

    1. Sign up with google and your name will automatically appear every time you comment,or

    2. On the drop down box that follows "Comment as:" pick Name/URL. You don't have to have an URL, just type in your name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question for you Canadians: are there a lot of Canadians that hail from Scotland? I have noticed this funny Scottish twang behind the way Canadians speak....like they say "I am going OOT" instead of "I am going OWT" (out).
    Kinda cracks me up, because I've only ever heard of French in Canada. No one else up there gets any airtime atall :OP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that would be a question for Earl...I believe there's a wee bit of Scots in his background.

    I'm British and Matt is American so we notice oot and aboot, kher (car), heerd (watch curling). It's mostly Easterners wot talk that way. I think it's a combination of Irish and Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oddly enough, I sound normal to myself and others up here. So, I reckon that we must all sound Scottish.

    Or, if from NFLD or the (Ontario) Ottawa Valley, Irish. Uncanny, but the accent is indistinguishable from northern Eire (at least to me)

    Earl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Earl, did you see my comment futher up about not being anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I forgot to mention that the Canadians managed to get two short-handed goals -- on the same penalty!

    ReplyDelete