Monday, February 15, 2010

Maytag Repairman Tired of Fixing Mexican Washing Machines

I just heard from a friend in Arkansas that a Maytag factory is moving back to their state from Mexico.
The US factories shut down from 2002 to 2007 to relocate south of the border for those nice non-union slave wages.
Apparently, in the intervening years, Maytag found that the machines built in Mexico were crap.
(Gosh, I coulda told them that - haven't they ever gone shopping in Tijuana??)

I googled news to see if anything has hit the news yet, but couldn't find a thing.
Thought that was good news though - small news but GOOD! :O)

Some of the old bits of news regarding those shutdowns:
Historic Maytag Factory Shuts Its Doors
Oct 25, 2007


Sep. 19, 2004
50 year old Maytag factory shuts down in Illinois


I don't even know how many total US jobs went to Mexico with Maytag, but it sounds like tens of thousands. Maybe they'll all come back now? Wouldn't that be nice!

1 comment:

  1. I think Maytag had a dryer plant in Searcy. It would certainly be good news if the plant were reopened, but I haven't heard anything.

    ReplyDelete