Monday, February 15, 2010

Remembering George Washington

February 22 is the day set aside by Congress in 1880 to commemorate the birth of George Washington, the father of our country.   A later Congress, in their infinite wisdom, not only moved the date of this celebration, but even took away the reason by giving the 3rd Monday in February the bland honorific of "President's Day".

We remember you, President Washington.  Happy Birthday!



 

I cannot tell a lie, I did it with my little hatchet.

 

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, come on now. 'President's Day is in keeping with the current, non-judgemental thinking that brought us such things as multiculturalism, and 'A's for attendance.

    Why should only the 'great' presidents be celebrated?

    After all, we also elected such giants of statesmanship as Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, Gerry Ford and the Current Occupant.

    Don't they deserve honor, as well?

    ReplyDelete