Saturday, August 24, 2013

On A Personal Note...



I’m sorry I’ve been so distant lately.  I’ve been busy hosting a ginormous pity party with one guest; me, and hiding behind cheery FB posts. FB is a poor tether to real life.

The fact is this: I lost my shiny new job. Canned. Yep.

 

It started out innocently enough. A bit of back pain by the end of the shift. Then a little more. Then I began to slow down as the pain escalated, having trouble keeping up with the frantic pace and long shifts, getting off work in the morning and fighting back tears when I got in my truck to drive home.

I finally hobbled in to see my doc.  What the hell, doc?  My shoulder blades and ribs are killing me! A person is NOT supposed to feel their shoulder blades and ribs. He poked on my spine until I was begging for mercy, and then ordered an MRI. It turns out that the stupid effing RA has degenerated my spine, and now I have multiple bulging and herniated discs, including cervical, thoracic, and lumbar. The really bad ones are four herniations in the thoracic region, between my shoulder blades. Great. Super.

Surgery? Nope. The damage is too extensive. So what now doc?

No heavy lifting or bending. Huh?  He looked me in the eyes. No floor nursing. 

I felt my entire world crumble. Critical care requires a whole lot of heavy lifting. Sh*t.

Well, I talked to my nurse manager, and she talked to human resources. I felt sure that they would find a position for me that I could physically handle. I mean, it’s a big hospital, and they’ve invested tons of time and money into my professional development.

Nope. After hem-hawing around for a couple of weeks, and multiple trips to the doc for more tests and to fill out a mountain of forms, HR asked for my resignation. I told them I wasn’t resigning, I was asking for a new placement. They responded that anyone working with patients had to be able to do heavy lifting, but I was eligible for rehire if the doc released me from the lifting/bending restriction. I asked the doc when that would be. He said never.

And thus descended the blue funk of all blue funks. Sleeping too much. Playing silly computer games to pass the time. Watching really dumb stuff on TV. That Jerry Springer Show is mind-numbingly idiotic, I’ll tell ya. Staring at the big pile of books I was using to study for the critical care certification, gathering dust on the kitchen table. 

Bummed that no one…not one person…from my work has called to see how I am. I thought these nurses were my peeps, and that shared death and blood and tears had forged a bond between us. I guess not.  Ouch.  

At my lowest ebb, I thought screw it! Just go on disability.

No.

I’ve seen what happens to vibrant, active people who “go on disability”. 

No. No thanks. 

Most of my friends here have faced more adversity than I ever will, and not only survived, but thrived.  You are all probably rolling your eyes at my petty, total surmountable crapola. Hell, I’m rolling my eyes at myself! What a self-absorbed little crybaby I’ve become!

I stand ashamed and embarrassed; trying to wrestle on my Big Girl Panties and catch the Suck It Up train before it leaves the station.

@#$!

So.

This weekend I will polish up my resume, and Monday I WILL get up early, don my most professional outfit, put on a confident smile, and go job hunting.

Oh, and no more Jerry Springer. 

Ever.

15 comments:

  1. Y'all are free to throw tomatoes and yell "suck it up, buttercup!"

    A swift kick in the backside would probably do me a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO sorry to hear about this, lady red! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and if you need to talk just pick up the phone.

    Hopefully, you will be posting a year from now about how glad you are that this occurred because it brought you to a situation that you love and one that won't tax your body so strenuously. Hang in there, sis! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you florrie! Thanks for the kind words. I know things will work out for the best.

      Delete
  3. Damn, lady red. I am so very sorry. You have every right to feel sorry for yourself and be depressed. You worked so long and hard to become an RN, I can't begin to imagine how you feel.

    I don't mean to sound trite, but shit, I hate it when bad things happen to good people. There is no way this is fair, it is just WRONG WRONG WRONG. I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain (emotional and physical). I love you and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Fay, and thank you so much for the prayers. I'll snap out of it. Just being able to talk to you all is easing my funk.

      Delete
  4. What florrie said.

    Just thinking pragmatically for a moment - there must be _some_ way to make use of everything you learned to become a nurse. I'm really not up on the whole credentialing thing but what does it take to become (for example) a nurse practitioner? We'll be seeing many more of those in the future. Etc.

    You are correct about daytime TV. Worst thing ever. I'd be watching kitten videos on YouTube before I watched Jerry Springer.

    I'm really sorry you were forced to back off the physical activity. Really glad you did. My wife makes her living (partly) off people who ignored warning signs and have crushing injuries as a result.

    There is a _right_ level of exercise and activity for you... sadly that "right" level gets pretty narrow as we age and fall apart (and I know this personally as well). But maintaining as much strength as you can while avoiding excess stress is crucial (as I'm sure you know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lewy, I'm toying with going back to school for my masters as a nurse educator. Noah has a really good job that he loves, and if I can find a part-time gig at a clinic or something we could probably swing the expense. I'm balking a bit, because at 55 the cost/benefit isn't exactly in my favor. I know I have options; discovering what they are is the trick.

      The exercise thing is something else I need to tackle. For years, I've been keeping the RA at bay with meds, yoga and lots of walking. My yoga routine will have to be revamped. The doc said exercising in water will be the best, which is fine in the summer when I can go to the river or the lake, but in the winter? Brrr. We don't have an indoor community pool around here. I definitely have some research to do.

      Delete
  5. If there was something I could say or do to make the heartache disappear, I would do it in an instant.

    There is no need for the tomatoes or the kick in the backside. You had a very big part of your world pulled out from underneath you. Like Fay, my prayers are with you. And as Florrie said, hopefully next year at this time you will be doing something great that uses your skills doing something you really love and allow you to make a contribution.

    And you have many great contributions yet to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Matt. One thing that I WILL do, regardless of whatever path I now choose, is to keep volunteering. We have a free clinic for working folks who don't qualify for medicaid but yet can't afford medical insurance. Two nights a month the local medical community donates their time and skills to care for these good people. Even the local dentists volunteer! We have a pharmacy and everything, which the eviiil drug companies keep stocked, and lots of community donations pay the light bill and keep the place running. We also run a free diabetes clinic, which includes a meal. Our local hospice house always needs an extra hand too.

      I'm feeling better already. :)

      Delete
  6. I am so very, very sorry to hear this! LR. You works so hard and put so much heart into this.

    I know there has to be something out there - I hope you find it right away and the roller coaster stops.

    Feel free to vent at me any time you need to -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GotS. The good news is that I can still see the world...by reading about the adventures you and your lovely family are having!

      Florrie and I were talking about the "roller coaster" effect not long ago, before this latest loop-de-loo. I don't like roller coasters. I'm ready for...the teacup ride!

      Delete
  7. Oh Lady Red, this is just awful. You don't need to apologize for being in a funk. You'd be certifiable if you weren't in a funk. I'm disgusted at the uncaring attitude of the hospital's HR department - as if registered nurses were growing on trees - and shocked at the apathy of your co-workers.

    Like Lewy said, there must be something else out there where you can make use of your heard-earned qualification. Do you have such things as baby clinics in the US? In Israel these are staffed by nurses and the only heavy lifting required are babies.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you too, that you will find something much better within a very short time. May this be the cloud that holds a shiny silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiny silver linings sound so good right now! lol

      The hospital where I worked is in a super-money crunch. They've been reducing staff and disbanding departments. Most of their patients are medicare (retirees from Chicago and Wisconsin), and the gov't reimbursements have dropped to a trickle with the whole ObamaCare fiasco. The CEO has been publicly talking about layoffs and employee attrition...not replacing people who retire or resign. I think I got caught up in that. I also think that might also explain the attitude of my fellow nurses. The floor where I worked is overstaffed, and they might be worried that they're next. They're an amazing group of nurses, under a tremendous amount of pressure.

      Delete
  8. As I was reading this, I kept saying to myself "oh, no".
    After all your work, and after the happiness you had at graduation and starting your news career, this was a miserable thing to happen.

    Do not feel too bad about taking a few days for self-pity, that is not always a bad thing, especially when, as you are doing now, one gets up and moves ahead again.

    I will be sending my best thoughts, and my prayers, and one possible suggestion.

    Consider working in a doctor's office as the nurse who does all the initial contact, BP, temps, etc. It certainly is not as rewarding as critical care nursing, but it makes use of your training in a far less physically stressful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good suggestion DWT, and thanks. I'm thinking of a skilled nursing facility or an office/clinic. The latter doesn't pay much, but hey, it's easy work, and it's Monday thru Friday!

      Delete