Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Thing of Beauty


Fay and I need to buy a lotto ticket, for we are on a roll. On two of televisions talent competition programs, our favorites won.  To be precise, the people who should have won, won.

Last week, Candace Glover won American Idol in what had to have been the finest final three in the history of that show.

Tonight, American Idol alumnae Kellie Pickler won the Mirror Ball Trophy on Dancing With the Stars.

Before this season on DWTS I had not been impressed with Pickler. She struck me as a ditzy blond who skated by on her looks. I was wrong. She is talented, hard working, and very personable, all with a sense of innate intelligence. Maybe she is not the most educated person in the world, but there are more than enough of stupid educated people around. She is humble and has worked hard to get where she is.

Did I say she was talented? Pickler was fortunate enough to be teamed with the best dancer/choreographer on DWTS: Derek Hough. Hough choreographed some amazing dances, and he pushed Pickler to the limit. Pickler delivered. 

The two sealed the win last night with what has to be the most beautiful dance ever seen on the program. No one else in the finals came anywhere close. When the judges gave there scores, two of them said that they should have gotten elevens.

This dance is almost a ballet. Please enjoy it, but have the Kleenex close by when you do.

4 comments:

  1. Dammit, I'm just watching the show now (DWTS). Please post spoiler alerts!! I didn't expect to see the winner announced, there is still almost 1 1/2 hours to go!

    img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/emoticons/irked.gif"

    img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/emoticons/crying.gif"


    (DWTS is my favorite show ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That said...

    I'm so glad Kelly won. I thought she and Zendaya were the best but Kelly had the maturity and life experience to bring more emotion to her dance. I totally agree with what you said about Kelly & Derek's free-style dance last night. It brought tears to my eyes, it was so incredible, both their performance and the choreography.

    Do you guys remember on AI when Kelly was out at a fancy restaurant, they told her to cover her eyes and then brought her escargot or lobster (can't remember which) and when she looked, she screamed? LOL!!! I love that about her, she's such a natural. I was saying "Pick Pickler" throughout DWTS :-) Her season on AI was one of the most memorable, IMO.

    I forgive you, Matt, for posting the results early. *sniff sniff* Stormy did the same thing at the other place when Taylor Hicks won AI...you'd think I'd learn to not check my sites when there is a results show...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, sorry Florrie! It was so long after we saw it that I thought it was already over.

    :(

    I was driving a bus in Seattle when she was on AI, so I never saw her then. I have just seen her a couple of times: once when she visited AI and once when she was on another show. It was almost as though people like making fun of her -- and I bought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was just so natural, Matt, not a phony bone in her body. That's what I loved about her. She had a hard-knock life and rose above it. After making the "big time" she appears to have kept her humility and faith, I just love her!

    I'm sorry you missed that season, it was full of personable, extremely talented people, you would have really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete