Sunday, May 15, 2011

Farewell to a Friend

I received an email tonight from someone I did not know. The email told me that one of my oldest, dearest friends had passed away last Thursday.

What can you say when a big part of your life is gone? I knew Eldon since 1969 -- longer than anyone else outside of my family. He could be a pain in the ass -- as can we all. But you could not ask for a more dependable friend. When I was in the 8th grade and had a crush on the Principal's daughter, he was the one who pushed me up to her so I would ask her to dance. Wow, that was about 41 years ago almost to the day. And I remember his 15th birthday party when he took friends to a roller rink. When I got home I found out that my oldest brother was engaged to be married. Eldon was a locksmith. After my father's funeral in 2008, we had a get together at my parent's house. My father had a safe, but no one knew the combination. I asked Eldon how much he would charge to open it. He did it for free, and we found many of the things my father had told us were missing -- mystery solved.

He would be there for you if you needed him. A couple of years ago the father of a mutual friend had died. Neither Eldon nor I had seen this friend in years -- but Eldon went to the funeral to pay his respects.

Fay and I last saw Eldon when I when we were in California last August. The last time I talked to him was last year. Perhaps you remember the big explosion in San Bruno, California last fall. He lived close by, and I called to make sure he was OK.

I am saddened to see you go. You will be missed.



My son and Eldon, November 1988




Eldon, me, and my son, August 2008

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry baby. he died way too young. Just another reminder to tell the people you love, that you love them.

    We saw Eldon almost every time we went to San Franciso. I am so thankful for that. He was a brick at your father's funeral. And then his father, a war hero, died a year (two years?) later.

    RIP Eldon you were a very good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I'm so sorry that you have lost such a good friend, and you too dear Fay.

    How quickly time goes by...one minute we're fifteen and forever young, and the next minute we're...here, at this place in our lives, not so young anymore and losing small pieces of who we are.

    You had a dear friend to share your life with Matt. Eldon sounds like a remarkable man. Thank you for sharing his life and his loss with us. {{{Matt}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Matt. This has been a sad week for you and DWT.

    Since we moved around every few years, I envy you your childhood friendships that have continued on over the decades. That was a nice tribute that you paid to Eldon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eldon was named after his mother's brother, who was fighter pilot killed in the Pacific in 1943 (he was one of the pilots on the Yamamoto mission). Eldon's father was a bomber pilot based in England who was shot down and finished the war as a POW.

    Eldon's father was retired when I met Eldon. My father retired about two years after Eldon and I met, and my family stayed in the area -- that's why Eldon and I stayed so close.

    I guess I am coming to terms with things, as much as can be expected. But it sure hit me hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you've lost a dear old friend, Matt. It's a lovely tribute you've posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments and for indulging me. Fay was a fantastic shoulder for me to cry on. I just wanted to talk about Eldon and, perhaps, borrow a few more shoulders.

    Still doesn't seem real.

    ReplyDelete