Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Merovingian Bestseller

I've always been interested in anthropology, archaeology, and genetics. I enjoy sifting through the articles written by Dienekes and Razib Khan. They take important research and boil it down to a few statements that are more easily digested by hobbyists like me.

I've been reading about a group of scientists who did a genetic study of nine sarcophagi excavated from the Merovingian necropolis in Jau-Dignac et Loirac (7th–8th century AD, Aquitaine, southwest France). These individuals were grouped together, and so imagine the scientists surprise when they recovered five distinct haplogroups: J, H, K, X2 and W from eight of the individuals that rested together. Talk about a family melting pot! From Dienekes:

The presence of perinatal remains in one sarcophagus was particularly striking because access to this type of funerary structure during this period was generally reserved for older children. Moreover, we demonstrated genetically that the perinatal remains were not related maternally to two women found in the same sarcophagus (whereas the maternal relationship between the two young women could be determined), and we proposed different possible explanations for this unexpected observation.
Oh, what a great book could be written as to why these mostly unrelated people were buried together! Who could best write such a book? Colleen McCullough, for a grand sweeping saga? Ken Follet, for a tale woven around Merovingian stonemasons? Elizabeth Kostova for a dark and spooky adventure? If you could select the author, who would you choose?



13 comments:

  1. My vote goes to McCullough, followed by Follet. Not familiar at all with Kostova.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with any of those authors, sadly... but I bet Umberto Eco could do something with this...

    I will say that The Matrix trilogy did more to raise awareness of early medieval French history than any humanities professor I can think of...

    ...because if not for The Matrix (and then Wikipedia), I would have had no idea who the "Merovingians" were.... maybe an alien race on Star Trek?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth Kostova wrote "The Historian", which is quite possibly the best book I've ever read. Follet has written numerous spy novels, such as "The Key to Rebecca" and "Eye of the Needle", but is probably best known for his magnum opus "The Pillars of the Earth" and its sequel "World Without End". McCullough penned "The Thornbirds" and numerous novels about Rome including "The Grass Crown".

    And yeah, what lewy said. Wiki! I had to look up the Merovingians too. That's half the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out The Grass Crown and it looks really interesting! I got into reading about the late Republic after watching Rome on HBO.

      Lucius Cornelius Sulla is not well known but so very key; really the first "proto-Emperor"...

      Delete
    2. McCullough's series on Rome is fascinating and seems to be very well researched. I hope you enjoy her books as much as I did lewy!

      Delete
  4. Let's see, wars, dynasties, church intrigue, etc. This sounds like a perfect subject for my by-far favorite historical fiction author Bernard Cornwell.

    Trouble is that he writes so much already, I doubt he would have the time to do this the lengthy justice he so often gives his series novels

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read allot of historical fiction but two superb authors were recommended by Fay & DWT. Sandra Gulland wrote a trilogy about Josephine Bonaparte, I couldn't put it down. And DWT told me about Stephen Harrigan's book, The Gates of the Alamo. I originally felt that I wouldn't be too interested in it but it was another book I couldn't put down and hated to have it end! I think they would both do a swell job ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to check out Bernard Cornwell...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good author would be Sharon Penman who wrote the books about medieval Scotland. AFW told me about them and they are all in my Amazon wish list, they've gotten excellent reviews. I just can't decide whether I should start reading them chronologically or as she wrote them.

    BTW, where is afw? I wonder how she's getting along in Africa? I miss hearing from her. Maybe some of you with FB would let me know how she's doing??? Ditto Stormi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AFW is globe-trotting with her kids, and posts often of her adventures on FB. I'll ask her if she'll write a post here about her travels!

      Stormah is working at a great new job, and is loving life now that she is out of a bad relationship. She is just as awesome as ever!

      Thanks for the scoop on Sharon Penman. I'll definitely read her books; I'm a sucker for historical fiction!

      Delete
    2. Florrie, Just got a Facebook update about their first 2 days in Vienna.

      Delete
  8. I appreciate hearing about what's going on, Dances, TY.

    ReplyDelete