Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Blast From the Past

Where were you in ’72? That summer a film was being made in the Petaluma area and a call went out for anyone with an old car that could be used in the movie which was set in 1962. Northern California, early ‘70’s, a film set in 1962. That film must be American Graffiti. Even now I recognize some of the cars in the film that I saw driving around town with old license plates that summer many years ago.



I think American Graffiti was the second DVD I bought and, while I watched the feature about the making of the film, I don’t think I had watched the DVD – until yesterday. There were several reasons I wanted to watch it. Perhaps I wanted to take a nostalgic tour of the town in which I lived as it existed the summer I first got my drivers license. I had also been telling a friend at school about the movie and maybe I wanted Fay to see the stomping grounds of my youth.

As a fan of NCIS with its recurring character of FBI agent Tobias Fornell, and having just received the first two seasons of Hill Street Blues with Detective Jeff Goldblume, I wanted to see actor Joe Spano in his much younger days. He is the guy trying to pick up Debbie when she is at Mel’s Drive In with Terry in the ’58 Chevy. You can tell it is Spano -- if you know it is he, but you would probably miss him if you didn’t.


(Photo from http://kipsamericangraffiti.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html)

Maybe the biggest reason I wanted to see the film was to wax nostalgic about an almost 40 year old film that was waxing nostalgic about a time that was only ten years in the past at the time. But, as the saying goes, you can’t go home again.

First of all, with the exception of Charles Martin Smith (Terry) and Candy Clark (Debbie), none of the lead actors could act their way out of a paper bag. This often is not noticeable on a big screen, but it jumps out and bites you on the small screen. The odd thing is that many of the smaller parts are well done. One of my favorite roles in the film is Wendy, played by Deby Celiz. According to the Internet Movie Database this was the only film she was ever in, but she acted circles around Richard Dreyfuss. I thought she was very believable and brought real pathos to the part.

The second weakness of the film is that, for the most part, you really don’t give a rip about the characters. I thought Steve (Ron Howard) was a dork when I saw the film in 1973 and I thought he was a dork when I saw the film in 2012. Again, with the exception of Terry and Debbie, there was no “there” there in any of the lead characters. Add to that the lack of plot, and you have a pretty boring film.

For those reasons, Fay bailed out less than half way through. Since Fay is English, the entire concept of cruising was foreign. In Petaluma, cruising the Boulevard (there were many shots of Petaluma Boulevard in the movie) did not really survive the first gas crunch in 1973. There were still a few hangers-on, but it pretty much was gone by 1975 (most of the cruisers in south Sonoma County consolidated their efforts on Fourth Street in Santa Rosa).

The big thing that bothers me about the film is the “down with authority” message. I remember that it bothered me when I first saw the film, but it is even more disturbing now. Consider the scene where the principal tells Steve and Laurie not to dance so close. Steve gives him some lip. When the principal tell him he is suspended, Steve taunts him by saying “I graduated,” and the defeated principal walks away. In reality, Steve would have been thrown out of the dance.

And watch how the film portrays Mr. Wolfe (Terry McGovern) as something of a hero for not being traditional. When the girl comes up and needs to talk to Mr. Wolfe, I knew what she needed to talk about when I first saw the film – something about a rabbit not surviving a test. That guy was not a hero; to the girls Mr. Wolfe was a sexual predator and the boys liked Mr. Wolfe because they thought he was cool -- but in reality he taught them nothing. Why was he portrayed so well while real authority figures were ridiculed?

It was fun to see some things I remembered from my teen years. The scene where Terry is caught off guard by the left-turn arrow is probably one of my favorites. Terry was facing eastbound on Washington Street at Petaluma Boulevard. I could not wait to get my driver’s license, and I had been studying driver’s handbooks for years. That was the first left-turn arrow that I, or anyone I knew, had ever seen. Everyone who knew that intersection really appreciated that scene – it confused everybody just as Terry was confused. The other thing I liked about the scene was the shot looking at the cars from across the intersection. On the right side of that shot on the building above the big storefront window, you can make out the letters “KTOB,” Petaluma’s radio station – and the station where I had my first paid job (in that very building).

I enjoyed the scene with Wolfman Jack. That was filmed at KRE in Berkeley. In the early ‘80s, I knew the chief engineer there -- so I have been in that building. They used that building because it was an old RCA building. In earlier times, companies such as RCA would supply everything to put a station to go on the air, from the microphone to the building, tower, and transmitter. However, very few stations, especially a small town station as portrayed in the film, would have had tape cartridges in 1962.


(Photo from http://afrtsarchive.blogspot.com/2010/11/wolfman-jack-1982.html)


The scene where the cherry bomb goes off in the boys’ room? That’s the A-wing boys’ bathroom at Petaluma high. I have no idea where the shot “outside” the bathroom is, though.

Curt (Richard Dreyfuss) is shown trying to open his old locker. That is C wing at Petaluma High. My locker when I was a senior is two to the left of the one Curt tried to open.


(photo from http://www.incredibletvandmovies.com/graffiti.html)

I knew one of the kids at the dance. When the kids are doing the Stroll, a boy with a white shirt and a black sweater is one of the “Strollers.” He was an upper-classman and rode my school bus. He hasn’t aged a bit.

The Climax of the movie was the race on “Paradise Drive.” In reality that was Frates Road and was only about a mile from where I lived. My brother remembers the tire marks on the pavements.

If I ever get to feeling nostalgic again, I might put the DVD in – but I would make heavy use of the fast-forward button. The film is not worth more than that anymore.

36 comments:

  1. In '62, I was 10 years old, living in a tiny toy town in central PA.

    And I am back here again, dammit.

    Dealing with the same fools I dealt with, and their offspring, from their sisters.*

    See the marching morons go,
    Hand in hand and row by row.
    Merry morons all aglow,
    Hand in hand and row by row.
    And of those morons that you see,
    With any luck one will be me.
    And I'll be marching all aglow,
    Hand in hand and row by row.

    When my son was in the 5th grade, the kids were tasked with bringing in a favorite poem to read for the class.

    I wrote that little ditty expressly for him.

    The teacher read it first and refused to allow it, even though 2/3 of the class brought nothing. The general response seemed to be 'poetry? Duh'.

    * I actually used that line with the principal of Gus' middle school, but she did not get it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like. Very Tennyson/Dr. Seuss/Hunter S. Thompson.

      Delete
    2. DWT, LMAO! I love the way you think (and write!).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was. I remember quite well - the late 50's were very big in the early 70's.

      Delete
    2. You young whipper-snapper you. But of course you weren't born yet. You are 29!

      Delete
    3. lewy, LOL!!!

      The eighties are big now.

      Delete
  3. Matt,

    Have you seen The Lords of Flatbush?

    I'd recommend it to Fay as a more poignant and substantive movie about America in the 60's.

    Just as Ron Howard got a bit typecast as a 50's teenager and made the move to Happy Days, Henry Winkler in Flatbush took his look and his basic character and made the same move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, that should have read "50's" above, of course.

      Delete
  4. I have not seen it, but I hear it is good. wasn't Sylvester Stalone also in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I recall the movie was really quite good. I watched it with my parents - it aired on TV sometime in around '76 - and they thought it was a useful antidote to the "feel good" air-brushed 50's nostalgia.

      Delete
  5. I confess I've never seen American Graffiti and although I love watching American nostalgia movies, I often don't get the references (like Fay I suppose. Us Brits need to stick together!).

    In 1962 I was 4 years old, about to enter Reception Class (that's kindergarten to you). In the summer of 1972 I went with my parents on my first trip to Israel and fell in love with the country, and that was the beginning of a whole different story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen American Graffiti OR Lords of Flatbush. I need to get Netflix again.

    In '62 I was 9 and living in Panama, Ft. Kobbe.

    Er, wait! I wasn't born yet.


    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! One has to have a good memory in order to be a good liar. And who has a good memory at our age? It is such a conundrum... :p.

      But on the imagined assumption that you were indeed born then (:) )you lived in Panama? That sounds so exotic!

      Delete
    2. It was! As a kid, I loved it!

      My dad was stationed at the Canal Zone from '60 through '65, if I remember correctly :-)

      Delete
    3. I didn't know you lived in Panama florrie! How wonderful to have lived somewhere adventurous and exotic!

      Delete
  7. BTW, Fay...I loved your FB post about Adele and wanted to add the comment "and someone with REAL talent" but decided to do it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks florrie, I haven't watched the Grammy's for years but knew that Adele was going to be performing this year so I PVR'd the broadcast so I could ff through the crap.

      Everytime they announced the category she was nominated in I was sitting on the edge of the sofa clapping and whooping with joy when she won. And what was even better was that (not a lady) Gagag was also nomintated in the same categories, and everytime she lost they panned the camera on her looking ever more ridiculous in the stupid outfit she was wearing and ever more upset. LOL!

      Plus Adele looked stunning and sang like an angel.

      Paul McCartney on the other hand....

      Delete
    2. Icouldn't agree more about GagGag and that silly Paul McCartney.

      I only watch if there is a singer I particularly like. Most of the performances either make me laugh or my jaw drops.

      I've officially become my parents :-)

      But seriously, I'm so happy that whoever votes for these things actually recognized TRUE talent.

      Delete
    3. That song McCartney sang sounds like he was trying to write a new standard, but he was about as effective as a drunk singing an aria. Sir Paul just does not have the voice, and his Liverpudlian accent seems to have gotten worse as he has gotten older. That is not to say that someone with that accent could not sing a touching ballad, but that ballad just didn't work. I have also seen or heard commercials for that song pretty much saying that we should be grateful to have such an artiste in the world.

      Gag me.

      Delete
    4. He was great in the 60s and 70's. In the last 40 years, not so much.

      These "stars" have been around yes-men and toadies for so long they actually believe the shite they are hearing about themselves. Talk about an inflated sense of importance.

      And then McCartney had the gall (and extremely bad manners) to disparage the previous president at a gala for the current president. He needs to stick to topics he actually knows something about, like men's hair dye and stiffy pills.

      We don't love you, yeah, yeah, yeah.

      Delete
    5. flo, I was listening to a podcast - much younger guys talking about a technical conference they went to. They said:

      "The party sucked. Tom Petty played. I like him but he's like 850 years old. No value in watching him. Rather listen to the CDs."

      So this is where we're at. If you're to old to rock... don't try.

      Delete
    6. "men's hair dye and stiffy pills."

      LOL florrie, you crack me up.

      Delete
    7. I'd laugh harder but that's gonna be me some day. :|

      Delete
  8. My 60's were spent in Alberta, not CA, and I was in nappies in '62. But (with hindsight) the cars around the streets then were of this level of "awesome". Horrid word, that, but there you have it- they were awesome- Tri-5 Chevs; Superbirds; E-Types; Dart 340s, etc., etc. My Scout leader drove a Mach One! Nothing like the Malaise Era rubbish that followed or the following Bland Era that we are in now and will never escape from.

    American Graffiti was, for me, primarily a car movie with human beings periodically intervening. Levinson's Diner represents a better view of this period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. American Graffiti of today: Federal Lunch Police

    You cannot make this stuff up. Imagine a USDA "agent" now inspecting boxed or bagged lunches in pre-schools. Say What?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there's the lunch police and now a high school in Ohio is paying the students to attend.

      That's the ticket, liberals!

      Delete
    2. Oops ... they did it again!!

      George Orwell would be so proud. I can.not.believe we really have federal Food Police who can take food from a kid and force other, less healthy food (parts is parts chikun, etc.), on the same kid ... and charge the parents for it, to boot.

      Seems silly ... but this is Obamanomics in action ... taking money from people to force them to perform in a certain prescribed manner. Similar to the adjusted mandate on Health Care where insurance companies are forced to provided contraceptives and abortion pills free of charge ... as if they don't collect the cost through rates charged to everyone. A TAX without Taxation ... it is "Free" , right? And the diktat issuers are therefore Tax-Cutters, eh?

      We have a Three Card Monte game for a government.

      Delete
    3. I especially like the part where we subsidize corn production and put tariffs on sugar, and then demonize high fructose corn syrup and propose taxes and restrictions on it.

      That totally makes sense.

      How bout we all pay New York to dig a hole and then pay Massachusetts to fill it back up? Same effect, but much less of a PITA for the rest of us watching.

      Delete
  10. I really would like to get my kids out of my house for seven hours a day. But things like this are why I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post Matt! Like Annie, I was only wee lass in 1962, but I watched the movie when it came out in the seventies. It was so full of teen angst and pseudo-drama that it made me roll my eyes and giggle! Where I grew up we didn't have those tremendously weighty decisions about college or life in general; a few of the boys went to college, some got married straight out of high school, and some went into the service. A few girls went to college; most got married. Done. No drama, no cruising all night wringing our hands in dire emotional distress.

    We DID cruise though. Round and round and round our tiny little town we drove, six or eight kids packed into each car. My boyfriend drove a cherry red '64 (or was it '62? My memory fails...) Oldsmobile 88. I have no earthly idea WHY it was fun, but it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoeee, more American Graffiti craziness ... really, one just cannot make this stuff up. We are a nation gone mad, and our military is trying to catch up!!

    And federal dollars, yours and mine, pay for this :-( ... very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ari - I think the headline oversensationalizes.

      It's only for soldiers taking a course that teaches them to serve as fitness instructors for pregnant soldiers and new mothers.

      One may reasonably ask whether it's a good idea for pregnant soldiers and new mothers to be soldiers in the first place. That's a different discussion.

      But if they are going to be soldiers, and exercise - then, well, this seems like a good idea. It's likely the Army adopted it as a "best practice" from somewhere else.

      Delete
    2. Lewy ... It's only for soldiers taking a course that teaches them to serve as fitness instructors for pregnant soldiers and new mothers.

      Uh, huh ... that'd be why they have female applicants in the course, too. Spell that b-o-o-n-d-o-g-g-l-e.

      Sorry, but this dubious practice or "training" beggars the debate about women in the military, equality and all that. The requirements are already lowered for women, so now we lower them again and spend money to develop training for it? Only a "Pentagon Ranger" could dream up this stuff.

      Given the military has numerous women in it, it is also given they probably have a wealth of information, personal and medical on what pregnant women can/should do and cannot/should not do. It can all be simply added to existing training manuals for PT. All this "training" specialty stuff is 100% crap.

      Why isn't that the case? Because, from personal experience, I can tell you that the military desk jockey bureaucrats are expert at fixing things not broken. They dearly love to write new regs and "OPORDS" on topics already covered so deeply the Library of Congress can barely house the materials. Now a whole new training regimen? ... Whoa baby, close the door, that's near orgasmic to a bureaucrat.

      Now back to the actual topic ... a pregnant solider already has medical advice and knows what can and cannot be done. I've had a Deputy Commander who became pregnant, keep fit given her condition, took leave + 6 weeks to give birth and such, then she was back at work, fit as a drum, (stunning as usual, to boot), and deployed to Afghanistan a week later.

      Delete