Monday, November 15, 2010

Feast



It's Monday evening here. Crap day at work. I need to take the edge off. Except that I've given up drinking a glass of wine during the week. Time to indulge some pure eye candy instead.

These gorgeous shots are by a photographer called Kirsty Mitchell from Kent. She worked as a fashion designer until 2007 when she first picked up a camera. In battling to overcome a personal tragedy she used the camera to lose herself in her art. With a spectacular result. She designs all the sets and clothes herself and produces some amazing work evocative of fairytale - and memories of her mum. I just love these pics. It reminds me of getting a wonderful book of fantasy as a kid and marvelling at the colourful imagery for hours on end.

"My earliest memories were always of the stories read to me by my mother as a child ... how it felt to be curled into her side, listening to the rush of her breath as she paused for effect, before launching into yet another characters voice. She was an English teacher, and read to me almost everyday, to an age I could no longer admit to my friends. She instilled in me the most precious gift a mother could, her imagination and a belief in beauty...... it became my root, and the place I constantly try to return to in my work, and my dreams"





7 comments:

  1. I just love these! Thank you so much for linking them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos remind me of the ones the girls did in England about 100 years ago. I can't remember the girls names, but I am sure you have seen the pictures.

    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was convinced taht thsoe pictures were real photos of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I think you are referring to the Cottingley Faeries

    img:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cottingley_Fairies_1.jpg"

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some wonderful galleries at Kirsty's site.

    Truly otherworldly and numinous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Kirsty's work is brilliant and absolutely mesmerizing. Thank you alison (and lewy for the link).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes thanks. Link didnt work in the post for some reason, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gloriously other-worldly. Thanks very much for bringing them here, Alison.

    ReplyDelete