Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Mount Vernon Statement

We recommit ourselves to the ideas of the American Founding.  Through the Constitution, the Founders created an enduring framework of limited government based on the rule of law. They sought to secure national independence, provide for economic opportunity, establish true religious liberty and maintain a flourishing society of republican self-government.
These principles define us as a country and inspire us as a people. They are responsible for a prosperous, just nation unlike any other in the world. They are our highest achievements, serving not only as powerful beacons to all who strive for freedom and seek self-government, but as warnings to tyrants and despots everywhere.

Read it all.



7 comments:

  1. I signed it. It's not perfect, but it'll get the point across (maybe).

    Good morning florrie! Are you up with little PattyAnn? :))) Shall I pour you a cup of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malkin really tears it up... and its authors. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, your 6:55 is my 3:55! I was still sawing logs.

    Good morning, lady red & levi. I signed it too.

    levi, I looked at her opinion and it seems to me that her main objective is over two signers and their stance over immigration and terrorist trial venue. I don't think she has a problem with the ideals actually stated in the Mt. Vernon document.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the link to her site:

    http://michellemalkin.com/

    (sorry folks, I can't remember how to highlight it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that two of the signers don't walk in lockstep with my views didn't prevent me from signing it.

    We'll never have consensus on each and every conservative issue. The Mount Vernon Statement does not specifically address the issues Malkin is concerned with, nor was it designed to address specific issues.

    It is a broad declaration of principle, and I'm comfortable with having signed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back and saw that Michelle just disagreed on some ancillary points on an adhominem basis. So I signed it too.

    I remain unsure that manifestos are important at this date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I went back and saw that Michelle just disagreed on some ancillary points on an adhominem basis. So I signed it too."

    Yay! Er, previously I meant to say "objection".

    Sheesh.

    Can I blame it on lack of caffeine?

    ReplyDelete