Tuesday, April 28, 2020

For your consideration....

Sometimes you know of a dramatic presentation from the past that arouses your interest. While it might be difficult to find some old films, many are available. If it was a presentation from the "Golden Age of Television," however, it may be more difficult. Many of those broadcasts were done live although many were captured on kinescope. What is a kinescope?

Back in the days before video tape, the only way a live television broadcast could be captured was to point a movie camera at a television monitor and film it. Obviously this is not going to give you an image of the highest quality, not exactly something to make a ninety minute presentation easy to watch.

One old program I have long wanted to see was the 1956 broadcast of Rod Serling's Requiem for a Heavyweight, staring Jack Palance as a past-his-prime boxer called Mountain McClintock. Sure there was a 1962 movie with Anthony Quinn in the title role, but I wanted to see the original. Beside thinking that Quinn -- a great actor in his own right -- was an interloper compared to how I envisioned Palance, the original had Ed Wynn in his first dramatic role. After having seen Wynn in some good roles on The Twilight Zone, I wanted to see him the first time he was in such a role.


Why would I be so interested in such a thing? The closest thing I can come up with in anything close to modern times would be to imagine Pee Wee Herman in a strong dramatic role. Ed Wynn's career was playing a clown and a fool.



I wanted to see the 1956 broadcast and I found it on YouTube. I was not disappointed. The acting was superb. The production stands up. Many old live broadcast were obviously limited by the virtue being what amounts to stage plays in front of TV cameras. This production did not suffer from any such limitations. If anything, it used such limitations to provide intimacy.

Besides being written by Serling, considered even at that point to be one of the finest writers in that new medium known as television, it was directed by Ralph Nelson, the director of one of my favorite films, Lilies of the Field.

One of the things about Ed Wynn in this production was that it was the first time he ever appeared in a production with his son, Keenan Wynn. The other thing was that many had doubts that he could pull it off. Ned Glass, a character actor seen many times on 1960's television, played a bartender in the program. He was also was prepared to take over at the last minute from Ed Wynn -- a fact that was kept secret from Wynn.

After watching this program I thought about Ralph Nelson. It occurred to me that he presented the downtrodden, if you will, as good, honorable people. He presented Homer Smith in Lilies as being more than anyone originally thought he could be. Nelson also directed the 1968 film Charlie.

The presentation I found on YouTube is good in a couple of regards. It gives you some historical perspective including  an explanation of the kinescope system. The best part, though, is that the program itself has been restored. It is almost as good as if it had been recorded on video tape. Commercials and so on were not restored -- they were added to give an experience of actually seeing it on TV in 1956.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.



But wait, there's more! The back story on this production was a drama unto itself, so much so that it was portrayed in 1960 on Desilu Playhouse. This production was written, produced, and directed by -- Ralph Nelson.

It had an all-star cast. Ed Wynn was played by, well, Ed Wynn. Keenan Wynn was portrayed by, of all people, Keenan Wynn. Ralph Nelson was played by a guy named Ralph Nelson, and Rod Serling was played by a future television star named Rod Serling. Ned Glass was also in the show playing Ned Glass.

It is also interesting to note that Nelson and Serling's main interest is the production of a quality program and the feelings of a 70 year old man were secondary. The fact that Nelson and Serling were willing to portray themselves in this way adds to the authenicity of the show.

Again, I hope you enjoy this.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome post Matt! It'll probably be the weekend before I have time to relax and enjoy these videos; I'm looking forward to it! The background info you've provided certainly adds to the enjoyment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg you have me at "imagine Pee Wee Herman in a dramatic role"

      Delete
  2. OK here is the floranista review (wandering and OT). I started watching yesterday and just finished. I've always found Jack Palance to be kind of scary and this movie was no exception. Even in City Slickers he made me nervous. I had to keep reminding myself that this was tv, done live. Kind of depressing plot but a hopeful ending so I give it a 4 out of 5. It was a real treat to see the Wynns in serious roles, so unusual for Ed. I also enjoyed the intro, it was fascinating, the guy explaining how it was shot (as you did) but showing it live, like the comparison at the end. Restoring it made quite a difference, which I found amazing for such an old performance, filmed in kinescope. We are so lucky that some of these old shows were saved.

    Ed Wynn's show was good too, I love slapstick, even when it's corny. The commercials were wonderful as well, Valentines Camel Cigs, lol!!! That was my first brand, I don't think they even make them anymore.

    Of course, I always think of Ed Wynn as Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins. And my favorite Keenan Wynn part was as Tony Curtis's mechanic - Hezakiah - in "The Great Race" (which I own, of course). The Wynn family are interesting, I think both Ed and certainly Keenan had some problems with alcoholism. I have a book, yet to read, "We Will Always Live in Bevery Hills: Growing up Crazy in Hollywood". It's supposed to be a very honest look at the Wynns through the eyes of Ed's grandson, Keenan's son Ned. Then there is all that MGM business about Keenan's wife having to divorce him to marry Van Johnson, so fans wouldn't suspect he was gay (which he was). Bizarre!

    Anyway, if it's a good book and you're interested, Matt, I'll send it to you after I read it. Thanks so much for this post, I will save the Man in the Funny Suit for tomorrow.

    Also, just recently watched 12 Angry Men again, not quite as old as this one but still from that era. Such a stellar cast, I was looking up bios during and after!

    Nelson was a very good director, I too like Lilies of the Field and Charlie as well (if it's the one with Cliff Robertson). That was something of a breakout movie, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm heading off to bed, good night all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished Requiem for a Heavyweight. It was superb! I loved it! The cast was amazing, and Jack Palance was crazy good in his role.

    The history of early TV was really interesting too. I didn't know all that stuff!

    Thank you Matt for a thoroughly enjoyable evening. And to you florrie, for more history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that Camel's were billed as "mild". They used to make me choke and sputter! And I'd forgotten that Allstate used to be based in Sears stores. Ah, nostalgia....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ll never guess in a million years what Billy Hoeft died of.

      And I, too, thought “mild” and “Camel” were mutually exclusive terms.

      Delete