Friday, December 21, 2012

6 Film Versions of A Christmas Carol


Every year, my mother would read an old, well-worn copy of Dickens’s A Christmas Carol.  While maybe not too many people read it today, a number of film versions of have been made. I thought it would be fun to look at some of them.


1901
Released in November, 1901, the first film version of the story is 111 years old. To put it in perspective, to go back 111 years from 1901 would take you back to when George Washington was President. In this version there are no other ghosts but Marley. The old doornail handles all the duties himself. Not all of the film survives, but we do have a sample. Notice the two big screen TVs in the opening shot, and that Bob Cratchit is played by Gertrude Stein.

Not really (Wikipedia.org)



1910
What would the Wizard of Menlo Park do with the story? Thomas Edison answered that question in 1910.  The cast includes Marc McDermott (who was 29 at the time) as Ebenezer Scrooge, Charles S. Ogle as Bob Cratchit, and featuring William Bechtel, Viola Dana, Carey Lee and Shirley Mason. 


1935
For some reason the English do not like calling film versions of the story by its original name. They, instead, call it Scrooge. The 1901 version was English, too, coming to think of it (and it, too, was called Scrooge). There must have been a shortage of studio workers in 1935. Notice how it looks like the person taking the book at the start of the film also seems to be holding the camera as he awkwardly reaches to the shelf. Seymour Hicks plays the title role. What makes that interesting is that he played the role in a silent version in 1913. Other than that there is nothing to recommend the 1935 version. I don’t mind that it is an early talkie and filmmakers had not yet quite figured out how to record sound well. No matter. Films could still be enjoyable, even if they are a bit stilted. This film, however, can best be described as arid. There is not a performance to grab onto in the entire film.



1938
You certainly would expect Hollywood to make a version at some point. And who better than MGM? Funny thing about this version, it was considered to be a “throw-away” film, but many people love it and was very successful. I, however, don’t see how Scrooge learned his lesson when he goes over to the Cratchit’s house and says, “How’d you like that turkey I bought you?”



1951
As with the 1935 version, this is called Scrooge. This version also starts with someone taking a book of the shelf. At least someone else is holding the camera this time. Alastair Sim knew how to play Scrooge. He was ugly when Scrooge was ugly, he was warm when Scrooge was warm. This version best captures the spirit of the story to me. Old Fezziwig should feel safe with John Steed minding the books.
John Steed, CPA (anikaye.tripod.com)


My mother absolutely hated this version. Why? -- because it shows Alice working in what amounts to a homeless shelter. Mind you this is not a contradiction to anything in the book, but it was not in the book. And my mother hated this version for it. For me, though, I don’t think anyone could ever do the scene of Scrooge and Fred’s wife better than Sim did it.


1984
The George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is the most perplexing. There are some things that this version does much better than any other. However, it also manages to really mess up some other aspects. I loved the scene where the man and wife discuss the loan they have with Scrooge. However, Cratchit is a goldbrick of the highest order. I wanted to shout to him, “Man, let’s get some work done!” And nephew Fred? No, Scrooge is not going to ruin Christmas for Fred. Scrooge has already ruined Christmas for Fred.

Scrooge apologizing to Fred and his wife at the end? I was waiting for Mr. Scrooge to say, “I Wanted to let you see if I was really as big a son-of-a-bitch as you think I am.”

                         Ebenezer Patton  (elonheroes255.wikispaces.com)


Whatever version you enjoy, I hope you have a very merry and blessed Christmas.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh Matt, that McDermott guy plays a scary-looking Scrooge! And he was only 29? Egads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebenezor Patton LOL :))

    Fun post! Although I always hated the movies, except the GCS one. ALthough I do agree with you about the apology at the end, WTH was Patton thinking....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Matt - inspired me to go look up one from my childhood.

    A Christmas Carol (1971).

    Animated - full length feature at the link.

    Alastair Sim - Scrooge in the 1951 film version - does Scrooge's voice in this version.

    Check out the bit 6 minutes in. I was 8 or 9 years old when I watched this and it put the fear of God in me - I've never forgotten it and it is exactly how I remember it.

    imgw:"http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/lewy14/carol-1971_zpsbb806171.jpeg"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read of that version but I had not seen it before. Scary use of rotoscoping. I can see why Mr. Marley would have scared the bejeebers out of you.

      Delete
  4. I am one of those who reads A Christmas Carol each year. Started it last night, in fact.

    Of those I've seen I like the George C. Scott & Alistair Sim versions best, though neither really stayed close to the book.

    Lewy's linked animated version is visually great, but the words are just too chopped up. Necessary, I suppose to fit it into a 25 minute format.

    There is another, more recent animated version, done with CGI, it seems, that my sister was watchign a couple of nights ago. But I was not interested enoguh to note anyone who worked on it.

    The book is still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying a laid-back new year's day and catching up on some posts. What a wealth of information, Matt! I'm embarrassed to say that I've never read the book or seen any clips until now. I think that *was* Gertrude Stein in the first video :-) I'm glad I didn't miss this post and now you and Dances have convinced me that I need to read the book!

    ReplyDelete