Friday, December 21, 2012

Random Musings

 I can't seem to write an intelligent post or comment the past few days. My brain is at full-processing capacity, and I guess I need time to sort and file. I've certainly appreciated all the thoughtful comments on my last post, from all perspectives. The quality of conversation on TCKT is exceptional, and I'm so honored to be a part!

The Christmas season can create overload all by itself, without the additional emotional events we're facing this year. All the buying, the crowds, the struggling young people trying to afford something under the tree for their kids...the shootings, the bloody media frenzy, the "end of the world" crapola...it's given me a touch of the Yuletide blues. This may sound strange, but I'll be relieved when it's over.

This year, we only bought presents for the kids. Simple things. Coloring books. Crayons. One inexpensive "toy" each. For the adults, we've made a donation to our local food bank in their name. We'll have tubs of homemade cookies under the tree for our guests.

We've been playing lots of Christmas music, which Noah and I find very uplifting. We enjoy singing along as we tinker around the house, doing all the little projects we haven't had time to do until now.

Our family and many of our friends have kept their kids out of school today. Bomb threats, threats of violence, and rumors of terrified children bringing guns to school for protection have the Ozarks in a bit of a lockdown mode. Extra police and sheriff deputies have been assigned to all area schools, but I don't think many children will be attending today.

What are your random musings today?


6 comments:

  1. With all the horrible events and depressing news I find myself being more and more grateful for what I have. I am blessed with the unwavering love of a fine and decent man. We are both blessed with wonderful family members who are distant in miles but close to our hearts. We have a lovely home and good food, good wine, good health and good friends. I am truly thankful and my blessings are too many to count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you embrace all the wonderful things in life Fay! Your comment brought a big smile to my face...thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good people make a world of difference.

      Delete
    3. And cheese, how could I forget cheese. Nectar of the gods. Right now in my fridge I have Parmigiano-Reggiano, extra old White Cheddar, Dubliner Hard Ripened Irish, Feta, double cream French Brie and German Cambozola. Plus a bottle of Port in the booze cupboard and Jacobs Cream Crackers in the pantry. And grapes, big fat white Californian ones.

      Oh my, my life is charmed.

      Delete
  2. Thanks lady red, this is the perfect place to post this link:

    Walter Russell Mead on the Advent.

    Really wonderful and hopeful and challenging at the same time. I plan on sending this to some of my Buddhist friends - it explains "the meaning of Christmas" better than anything I've ever read, and - although it may not have been Mead's intent - is completely accessible for non-Christians.

    ReplyDelete