Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Destruction Of Rick Perry

"Niggerhead", inscribed on a large, flat rock in the middle of nowhere, marked the entrance to a hunting property. The Perry family did not own this property; they merely joined a lease. Even so, Perry the Elder took it upon himself to spray paint over the place name and turn the rock on its face. A simple gesture by a good man, an action that all of us would take without a second thought. This event occurred some thirty years ago.

But that isn't good enough. The fact that Perry's dad breathed the same air as the offensive rock is a damning commentary on Rick Perry himself. Rick even hunted on the property a few times through the years, thereby also breathing the same air as the defaced, toppled rock.

Someone whom I respect, Herman Cain, made a ill-advised statement condemning Rick Perry for the words on the rock, based solely on a hit piece by the Washington Post. Not good. At all. He seems an honorable man; let's see if he walks back his hasty comment in the days to come.

Meanwhile, democrats in Perry's home state of Texas have rallied loudly and angrily behind him, claiming that Perry doesn't have a racist bone in his body. Is anyone listening?

My point is this: we cannot allow newspapers, magazines, and television networks to select our next president as they did in the last election. By inflating and embellishing this tale and plastering it on their front page, the Washington Post has unleashed a media torrent which Perry may not politically survive. How do ordinary Americans fight back against ugly yellow journalism and the media's blatant manipulation of our political process? Suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. How much you want to bet the rock was painted by a Democrat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RadioMattM ... of course it was. Perry was a Democrat back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, lady red, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the love of all that is holy. EVERY PLACE has racism in the past. It's inescapable, no matter where on earth you go.

    The story is not that they leased a place that at one time had that name. The story is that 30 years ago Perry's father made sure to completely erase it.

    Of course they can't tell THAT story. That might make a Republican look good.

    Effing irritating. I don't even like Perry (I'm discovering a large swath of curmudgeon runs through my personality). Right now, I'm hard pressed to think of a politician I *do* support.

    I wish I had an answer for how to hold the media responsible for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might in the end come down to Perry himself having to sue the newspaper for slander, or at the very least misrepresentation. The only thing ordinary Americans can do is flood the media, particularly the WaPo, with comments, letters, talkbacks etc., demanding clarifications, explanations and a retraction from them.

    Also, start a facebook page, get several thousand followers (which should not be difficult, seriously), and bring that to the attention of the MSM.

    Start a Twitter war with #Perry or #Niggerhead hashtags to make it "trend" on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The getting facebook likes thing is driving me crazy. It's not hard for some people, it's RIDICULOUS on my author site! ARGGGHHH!

    But if you have a lot of like-minded people already, the twitter hashtags work well. Unfortunately, the people making jokes tend to take them over. I'll admit that I lean in this direction. It does bring a lot of attention to something, though.

    I do think that pushback is in order against the most frequent yellow journalism offenders. It's all well and good if they want to play National Enquirer, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too. One or the other, people. And maybe the best way to pushback is to continually point out, and have the facts to back up, how certain media outlets are ridiculous. Rather than giving them power through rage, take away their power through ridicule.

    But I'm not a professional, just opinionated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent suggestions annie. I'm good with letters and emails. Twitter and FB likes and stuff? I'm woefully inadequate/clueless. And I spend about three minutes a year on the phone. Maybe it's time to get out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally, some solidarity. Against Oonyveezyon, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing against Perry, really ... but I am pretty sure I want Cain as head of the ticket, not VP as some are suggesting. Why? Because only Cain doesn't raise my blood pressure 50 points every time he opens his mouth. I actually feel like we have something in common.

    I don't want a political expert in DC ... it is time for someone who says bullshit to the entire institutionalized system of mutual prevarication. KISS principle is due for a revival.

    I've been in the DC whirlpool, and it makes me ill. Today I read about how some of my USACE work associates have been arrested for skimming $20 million off the top of $45 million in contract payments, using the old false flag vendor scam. What kind of idiots would let a near 50% skim racket go on without raising hell much earlier? Why does it take the FBI acting on whistle blower info to do it?

    I can answer that, but I'd rather not. I have enough enemies.

    ReplyDelete