Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Night Music

It has been a rough week. We need to groove to some tunes!

First let me start with a Gene Chandler record I just discovered. This song has that unmistakeable Curtis Mayfield sound, and it is a great one. I hope you like it as much as I do.



For our second number tonight, I have a quiz question: This song was written by Edwin Starr (25 Miles, War) while he was overseas in the military. Where was Edwin Starr when he wrote this song? -- a hit in 1966 by the group Shades of Blue.



And from Summer 1965, how about a hit from across the pond.

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the first one (which is he only one I've heard so far). Curtis Mayfield sounds indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you played the Tubby The Tuba video and told me "Oh How Happy I Am"

    This song reminds me of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgie Fame, oh baby!

    Jazz in the top ten! Yeah, yeah!

    ReplyDelete