Sunday, March 7, 2010

Since We Can't Post Pictures in the Comments Section

Since Florie, Aridog, and I are having a wonderful conversation about photography in the thread about the Peruvian artifacts, I wanted to show a couple of things.

First is an example of cropping. Generally when I work with a photo in Photoshop, my default dimensions are 4x6, since that seems to be the most common print size today. One thing about photography is that print dimensions are not proportional to negatives (or digital camera files). I generally keep that in mind when I take a photo.Since I often cannot get in the best spot to make the entire frame what I want, that isn’t normally a problem.


In this photo, I did not go with the 4x6 proportions; I cropped a little off the right side of the photo. The original has a couple of lamp posts, the cropped version does not.



The important thing here is that I filled the image with what I wanted. I wanted a continuous parade of beach shacks and their colorful doors seem to run on forever. I am often disappointed with the results, but I was not in this case.

Next, I love "then and now" pictures. There is a store in Vancouver that sells old furnishings from hotels. Fay and I went there one day and saw some old photographs. One in particular caught our attention.



This is a photo of downtown Vancouver from Stanley Park, looking across the Vancouver Rowing Club. Taken in 1930, this print is about 26x32 and mounted in a simple frame. We bought a copy of the picture (they had dozens). One Sunday afternoon, we went to Stanley Park with our digital camera and took a new picture of the same view. (We were actually about fifty feet north of the original site, as trees had grown so high that all you would not have seen anything. You can see part of a tree on the right side of the picture.)



Using Photoshop, I turned the photo into black and white. I shaved off a little, perhaps, to get the same dimensions as the original, and had a professional print made. I was happy to find that a print made from our little point-and-shoot digital camera could make a print that large and still be crystal-clear. Maybe someone with better eyes can see compression artifacts, but I am happy with it. We bought another copy of the original picture so that we could have a matching frame. The original is at the top of the stairs, the new print is mounted over the stairs on the opposite wall.

UPDATE! UPDATE! WE HAVE AN UPDATE!

Fay found pictures of the two large buildings in the "then" photo.



This is the Hotel Vancouver, the large building on the right side in the "then" photo.



This is the Marine Building. Both of these buildings are in the beautiful Art Deco style -- built in a time when buildings had style.

16 comments:

  1. Beach shacks? I thought they were Easter-egg outhouses! Excellent picture; I love the way you captured the colors and the perspective.

    The before and after pictures are very cool. Vancouver has sure grown since 1930! In the original photograph, what is the pointy-topped building on the far right? Is it built on a hill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The building in the foreground of both those pictures is the Vancouver Rowing Club. It is almost identical today as it was back then.

    The only two "high rises" visible in the old photo are still standing and in good condition today (although you can't see either one of them in the current photo as they are hidden by other buildings). The one that is almost in the centre of the shot is the Marine Building at the NW corner of Hastings at Burrard Street. It is a beautiful Art Deco building that has been designated as a Heritage Building.

    The other one, to the right, is the famous copper roofed Hotel Vancouver still under construction at the time. The location of the hotel is at intersection of Burrard and Georgia Streets. There had been a Hotel Vancouver prior to that one at the corner of Granville and Georgia (about two blocks away).

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, lady red, it's not on a hill. It's just way taller than anything else around it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the Hotel Vancouver! It's REALLY tall compared to everything around it. Thanks for the history, Fay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, my history was wrong! This is actually the third (not the second) Hotel Vancouver and the one that is still in use today. Construction was halted for five years during the depression and the building wasn't completed until 1939.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shacks? Sacre bleu! They are not "shacks" as my husband calls them lady red, they are beach huts situated on the "Prom" in Hove (England). They are famous in the UK and much sought after. They are like mini houses inside, people have propane stoves and fridges and tables and chairs. When the weather is nice whole families go down to their beach hut, throw open the doors, make a cuppa and put their chairs out front to sit and watch the world go by...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really neat, Fay. Do people own them, or do they rent them for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They own them lady red, there is usually a waiting list to buy one and they cost about 8 to 12 thousand pounds each. That's just for the hut, the land is owned by the city/town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, expensive little buggers, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup!

    Only seven more vistors until we hit 4,000!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice work in Photoshop, Matt. I-am-not-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. (I am catching up on all the posts I've missed this week)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't see they update until now! They're beautiful buildings, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Er, the first "they" = the. I've been mangling my words for a week. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. lady red said: "They're beautiful buildings, aren't they?"

    Yes, they are, and now that we can post pictures in the comments here is proof:

    Marine Building

    imgw:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/phasewest/3278947417_d6eff88c96.jpg"

    imgw:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/phasewest/marine_building4_lge.jpg"

    imgw:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/phasewest/marine-building-elevator-door.jpg"

    ReplyDelete
  16. And seeing how wonderfully well that post turned out, I have to say, once more, a great big THANK YOU Lewy xxx

    ReplyDelete