Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yummy Energy Bars


Since Matt got promoted at work he often has to work through his lunch break and sometimes doesn't eat until 3pm. Worried about his blood sugar level and concerned that he could avail himself of nutritionally bankrupt cookies and donuts at the company canteen, I went about looking for an "energy bar" recipe that would be both high in nutrients and taste good.

I tested out the best sounding recipe I found, and came up with this adaptation:

3/4 cup chopped dried apples
3/4 cup chopped prunes
I cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup unpastuerized honey
3/4 cup wheatgerm
1 cup All Purpose flour
3 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
1/4 cup (or more if needed) orange juice

Combine all ingredients except orange juice and mix together. Add enough juice to form a thick batter (I find a slightly runnier batter produces a moister bar). Mix well.

Press mixture into a 9 by 12 inch greased (or sprayed with Pam) pan and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until firm. Remove from oven and cut into 18 bars but leave in pan to cool. Wrap individually. Can be frozen.

6 comments:

  1. Of course you could substitute practically any dried fruit or other nuts from the ones in this version of the recipe. The first batch I made, I used dried blueberries and dried apricots. Whilst I am a big fan of dried apricots the dried blueberries did nothing for me, and they were mega expensive (even from the bulk food bin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good, Fay. Are you using unbleached whole wheat flour in it?
    Oh! I just remembered a recipe I read...a snack bread kinda thing that was also loaded with goodies. If I can find it I will post it. I haven't tried it yet, but now I am thinking on it? I will! Maybe it would also help Matt - some variety.
    You are SUCH a good cook, girl! All your recipes look om nom nom! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No mw, I'm just using all purpose white flour but I suppose whole wheat flour would be better nutritionally.

    I love to cook mw, and I love to share my cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I found it. Here goes - apparently an adaptation of a 2,000 year old recipe from the Himalayans:

    Hunza No-Hunger Bread
    link to recipe and story behind it

    2 c. Whole Milk (Possible substitution) : 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 cup mineral water.
    2 lbs. natural buckwheat or millet flour
    1/2 tsp. iodized sea salt
    3/4 c. coconut oil
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    3/4 organic sugar (turbinado or evaporated cane juice)
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    10 oz. honey
    1 tsp. baking powder (non-aluminum)
    8 oz. molasses

    Hunza Diet Breat has a taste that is very satisfying and chewy all on its own, but you also may add, if desired, apricots, raisins, chopped walnuts ,almonds,or pecan's. I have even used Brazil nuts, or any combination of these, and/or sliced dates to the above ingredients. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

    Grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2 in baking pan. Pour the batter into the pan 1/2-inch thick over the bottom of the pan.

    NOW THE TRICK----------ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO SIT AT ROOM TEMPRATURE FOR 5 TO 6 HOURS COVERED WITH CLOTH. THIS WILL ALLOW THE CHEMICAL ACTION TO FILTER INTO ALL THE BREAD. THE EXTRA 2 OZ OF HONEY IS THE OTHER TRICK. THIS GIVES THE BREAD THE POWERFUL HUNGER SUPRESSANT QUALITY'S.

    Bake at about 300 F for 1 hour. After cooking, dry the bread in the oven for about 2 hours at a very low heat—about 90 F. (If your oven temperature does not go below 90 F, try turning it as low as possible and leaving the oven door open until the bread becomes dry.) After it is cooled, tip it out and cut it into approximately 2x2 in squares.You can use a smaller pan and make bread thicker.
    If you do increase the baking time.

    Store the bread wrapped in cloth in a container. You may need to repeat the baking depending on the size of your baking pan and oven until all the mixture is used.
    Hunza Diet Bread is made from natural buckwheat or millet flour. It is rich is phosphorous, potassium, iron, calcium, manganese, and other minerals, as nothing has been destroyed in the preparation of the wheat. Thus it contains the essential nourishment of the grain. This is why you must use only natural buckwheat or millet flour to make your own Hunza Diet Bread.

    ReplyDelete