Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Garden Keeps Growing!

And we're already deep into watering season. My work is cut out for me as my garden has been basically ignored for 2 years while I went through some health challenges. But the good news is that it's still there and plenty to do. Even when unattended, the garden keeps growing (most of it, anyway). I try to take the same shot of the Front Rhody Garden, which I planted first - shot from the front angle, the rest are from the side, you can see a stump in the right foreground with a birdbath or frog on it. 2011 ~
2012 ~
2013 ~
2014 ~
2015 ~
2017 ~
2020 ~
So that's basically the last picture I will take as it's grown so much, I can't walk through it anymore. I did snap a few photos of a couple things blooming this year, one with my cell phone of a favorite rhody, Nelda Peach:
And also with cell phone, a wonderful, large-leafed magnolia that I planted in 2015. This shot was a couple weeks ago, it has amazing blossoms and the leaves are 2'long! The tree was about 6" when I bought it and is well over 10' tall now.
One last photo, this one of our girls - sisters that we adopted 3 years ago from Cavalier Rescue. Dee Dee & Sweet Pea ~
Don't let their innocent look fool you. During this damn covid thing, I've been getting most of my groceries, etc., by pickup orders. So one morning, I thought I'd take these 2 (we have 4) with me for company. They usually just go in the car for vet appointments. So they were soon asleep in the back when I pulled up the the store pickup area. As soon as the guy came to my window with the order, they went ballistic, barking and growling, I was so embarrassed! Needless to say, that's the last time I took them... Hope you all enjoyed some of these photos, I so appreciate being able to post them and it gives some needed inspiration to get out there and work. I'll leave you with this funny (so true in our case, lol) ~

8 comments:

  1. They were just looking out for your welfare!

    Ooh, lovely photos, Florie. I especially like the year by year shots from the same angle. I have missed having your pretty flowers on our Table. Happy to have them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love the progression of the Rhody garden florrie. I love Rhodys! I've missed your garden posts, thanks for this one.

    Dee Dee and Sweet Pea are gorgeous (and I love their names)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for indulging me, Fay & Matt. I never get tired of taking pictures of or talking about plants (and rhodies in particular).

    I don't know what I'd do without the pets, Fay, we are both so bonded with them. We got them at age 7 and those were their names. They are so sweet and loyal (despite the protective snarling in the car) that I don't know how their previous owners could give them up. But I'm sure glad they did!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garden posts SO MUCH!!!! Your rhodys are lovely florrie!

    The fur babies look so sweet, too sweet to bark and growl. Hahaha!

    I don't know what I'd do without my 3. They keep me sane and busy and away from too much introspection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, lady red. We have 3 as well and they bring so much joy to my life. I just took Dee to the vet today and she barked and growled when the tech came up to the car to get her (damn covid). The funny thing is, once she had the leash, Dee was a wimp!!!

      Dogs are pure love. Dee is not a lap dog. But she did jump in my lap one time, it was the morning of my CABG3 and I was sitting in my armchair waiting to go when she jumped up. She knew! I'll try to find the pic Tom took.

      Thank you for the nice post comments.

      Delete
  5. This is a complete life aspiration for my wife right now.

    Right down to the cartoon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered an area out back where they took out some cedars. The strata has an infatuation with cedars even though a good third of them die each year and need to be replaced. It looks like they totally gave up in our space.

      We don’t have many areas where we can grow things in the ground. We don’t get much sun out back. We have a little spot out front but it gets hammered with run-off from the roof. When I say hammered, I mean hammered. We have put soil from flowerpots in that are so there is a pile six inches tall. After a couple of rains it has all washed away.

      I am thinking of trying something in that area out back. It would need to be fairly hardy, need little sun, and be able to handle being soaked in the winter and not get much water in the summer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, lewy. Yeah, that cartoon is so true ;-)

      Stay safe, I never dreamed I'd see what is happening in Portland and Seattle.

      Delete