Thursday, June 27, 2013

Something for the soul

I'm taking the liberty of cross-posting this from my own blog. As an antidote to the bad news that has been dominating the news lately, this is in a class all of its own. I was considering keeping this piece for my weekly Good News Friday post, but it really deserves and needs a stand-alone post.

Ascending a precipice, we approach a lone tree reaching upwards to its Maker. (photo: Qanta Ahmed)

This is simply one of the most beautiful and moving articles about Israel that I have ever read. You may think it is written in prose, but it is pure poetry. It could almost be set to music.

It brought tears to my eyes and made me yearn for my country - and I'm right here, living in it.

The most incredible thing about this is that it's written by a Muslim woman of Pakistani origin, the amazing Dr. Qanta Ahmed.

Here's just a short excerpt of "This is the Land" which is also accompanied by the most glorious photos of Israel, taken by Qanta Ahmed herself:
Rolling fields are immaculately tended. Not an inch of space goes to waste. Dates, mangoes, bananas grow in neat lines, ranks of an impossible army. Some of the more delicate fruits are veiled – protection from bats. For the first time I see pomegranate trees! Gracefully bowed, their short branches deeply curved, weighted with still young fruit supplicate to the Holy land.

The golden land of Galilee. (photo: Qanta Ahmed)[/

[...]

Yet still the land unfolds: fields; lapis-colored reservoirs; soft rolling hills. No one has prepared me for the soft beauty of the Golan. In my brain I had conjured images of a demilitarized zone, barren, desecrated and godforsaken. Instead I see a landscape which speaks England. Neat fields, intensely green, pepper the landscape. Soft brown hills evoke the Scottish Highlands save the purple heather. This land was host to conflicts and wars, bunkers and bombs? Somehow, like the rest of Israel, the resilient land has recovered and not only repaired, but blossomed, responding to destruction with incredible vitality and bold beauty. What spirit, this land!

[...]

After two weeks of being in Israel, I now accept there are many things here I will not understand, including how Israelis can move towards not only tolerance in peace, but nurturing partnerships with those once their mortal enemies.

[...]

In the days before I have clumsily clambered over Jerusalem. I have competed with tourists from every corner of the globe. I have stayed in East Jerusalem and West. I have visited shrines to the three great monotheisms and cast prayers at every site, some written, some spoken, all heartfelt. But nothing prepares for the view of Jerusalem as God sees it – the view from His heavenly throne.
If those words alone didn't move you to tears you need to read some more. Be sure to click on all the photos in both photo galleries accompanying this article. They are a work of art in themselves.

Go and read "This is the Land". You know you want to.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely post about a lovely land and a lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the author's heartfelt words brought tears to my eyes, and the photographs are utterly breathtaking.

    I want to go there. I want to experience this for myself. And I will, someday.

    Thank you so much for this wonderful gift annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure in posting it. I had tears in my eyes myself when I read it. The author expressed my own love for my country so eloquently. I wish I had her gift for writing.

      Please G-d one day you will get here, and I will take enormous pleasure in showing you around our country.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what writing! I saw this post last night but wanted to come back when I had time to read it all and see the photographs.

    Somehow I never imagined there would be banana trees in Israel. My favorite pictures were "water carried from the Sea of Galilee", Secret Shalom, and the shots of the cemeteries. But they are all beautiful. annie, what is the big bldg. in the 4th pt. of "Nothing prepares for the beauty of Jerusalem"? Her description of descending towards the Dead Sea put me right there. And this:

    Yet still the land unfolds: fields; lapis-colored reservoirs; soft rolling hills. No one has prepared me for the soft beauty of the Golan. In my brain I had conjured images of a demilitarized zone, barren, desecrated and godforsaken. Instead I see a landscape which speaks England. Neat fields, intensely green, pepper the landscape. Soft brown hills evoke the Scottish Highlands save the purple heather. This land was host to conflicts and wars, bunkers and bombs? Somehow, like the rest of Israel, the resilient land has recovered and not only repaired, but blossomed, responding to destruction with incredible vitality and bold beauty. What spirit, this land!

    Just simply beautiful, annie. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I never imagined there would be banana trees in Israel.
      LOL. There's one growing right underneath my laundry balcony! We have lots of exotic trees and plants here, only they're not considered so exotic for us: palms, pomegranates, citrus of all sorts, olive trees ("holy" and not so holy), and all kinds of plants that you probably have more of an idea what they are than I do.

      You asked "what is the big bldg. in the 4th pt. of "Nothing prepares for the beauty of Jerusalem"?". I'm not sure what building you're referring to. Are you referring to the square building with a square tower? I think that's St. Augustine's Hospice that she refers to in the article.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I was sure you would.

      Delete
    2. In the second set of photos, there are 4 titled "Nothing prepares..." - it's the penultimate picture in the middle. It must be the hospital, wow, it's BIG!

      Delete
    3. Florrie, I did some more googling (I recognize most of the landmarks of the Jerusalem skyline but I'm not always sure which church is which!) and as far as I can make out, the building is what is called the Muristan. To quote wiki:

      It is a complex of streets and shops in the Christian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. The site was the location of the first hospital of the Knights Hospitaller.

      That's why it's still called a "Hospice". It was much a hotel as a hospital which is what the Knights Templar used to operate. The square tower is the Church of the Redeemer which is right next to the Muristan.

      The building doesn't serve as an actual hospital today though it might very well have a hotel inside.

      Delete
    4. It's just incredible, annie. Thanks so much for the information. Standing there amongst all that ancient history, it's almost hard to grasp.

      Delete
  4. (OMG, now Nancy Pelosi is on the tube, braying about this and that - talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is glorious writing and wonderful photography.

    Thanks, Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I'm glad I was able to some much-needed respite from all the bad news.

      Delete