Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Flowers For America

I gave up on Alexis De Tocqueville's 'Democracy In America'.

Not because I found any fault in his analysis.  But because I found him far too prescient.

He spoke of the faults of democracy, as well as the glories, and explained just how the glories would become the faults without careful attention.

Well, that attention was given, until the turn of the twentieth century, and then the attention not only waned, but was twisted, so that the country changed tack by at least ninety degrees, if not 180.

I could not finish the book because in each and every one of his warnings I saw Exactly what we have become under a series of  'leaders' beginning with Theodore Roosevelt, and dragging through those who have followed him into the abyss where this nation currently rests.

So, I took him back to the library.

There, on the 'New Books' shelf was a novel I read more than forty years ago, in a new, 'Modern Classics' edition.

It is a book written by Daniel Keyes, titled 'Flowers For Algernon'.

They actually made a pretty decent movie from it, called 'Charlie'.

It is the story of a super-mouse named Algernon, who was a part of an experiment to greatly increase intelligence, and the man who was the first human subject of that experiment.

Told in the words of Charlie Gordon, it is the tale of a young man who has lived his life as a moron, but always wanted to be more.  On the recommendation of a teacher for 'retarted adults' Charlie undergoes the same operation and regimen  as Algernon, and becomes, essentially, the most intelligent man on Earth.

For a while.

As he grows in intelligence, Charlie finally sees that those he always thought of as friends were treating him cruelly, until he became so intelligent that they feared him instead.

But it does not last.  Nothing really lasts, in this world.

During this story, Charlie goes from an IQ of 68, to well over 200.

And back.

The very last sentence in the book is this, with Charlie's misspellings;

"P.S. please if you get a chanse put some flowrs on Algernons grave in the bak yard,"

America was born as a moron in the eyes of the aristocratic world, and became a genius.  But not any more.  Our decline is just exactly the same, and exactly as sorrowful, as Charlie's.

Please, if you get a chance, put some flowers on America's grave, in the back yard of history.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry, folks. Feeling a bit depressed, this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, Dances.

      Delete
    2. It's okay DWT. I'm constantly shaking off a sense that our culture is gasping its last breath. Flowers for Algernon, flowers for America.

      Thank you for the heartfelt post.

      Delete
  2. Some constructive ideas compiled a while ago by Instapundit.

    Note sadly that moderate, sensible, restrained, adult, informed, respectful conversation appears nowhere in these suggestions. I don't think we're a culture where that's an effective modality anymore, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OFF TOPIC - Yesterday I got my tax refund (Ah kin buy shoes!)and a firm call-back date from my layoff March 6th).

    That's the good news.

    Some may remember that a few years ago I wrote a post (at the other plaice) about my family reunion, when a great aunt had a mini-stroke and pandemonium ensued.

    Well, that same aunt has been in an 'assisted care' facility for three years now. Last Sunday she decided to get out of bed and into her chair without calling for assistance.

    She has always been very hard-headed.

    She fell.

    She broke a hip and a collarbone.

    Due to her age and condition, the ER doctor decided against surgery, so she went back to the assisted care facility on Wednesday, under heavy morphine for the pain, and with hospice visits.

    The prognosis was poor. Fragile, birdlike and nearly 92 years old, all they could do was alleviate the pain and wait to see if she would heal or die.

    The waiting ended yesterday afternoon, as she passed from a troubled, morphine-induced skeep, to an untroubled death. The funeral is next Monday at 11 am.

    Elsie Crandall was my mothers second mother. When my birth grandmother died, my Mom was not yet 16. Elsie finished raising her, and stood by her even when her own family did not. Like when I was born just 15 days after her 18th birthday, a pregnancy that started out of wedlock.

    My mother is pretty broken up, and feeling guilty.

    As for me, I really do hate living near a rapidly-aging population of relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Dances. Your great aunt Elsie was obviously a fine woman, may she rest in peace.

      Delete
    2. Dances, Elsie had a very special place in you life. I'm really sorry.

      Falls are the bane of the elderly; a fall took my uncle five years ago.

      Delete
    3. I'm so sorry you've lost your Aunt Elsie. What a wonderful woman to have taken you and your mom under her protective wing!

      Dances, you've been your family's caretaker for a long time, and I admire you very much for gathering your family in and being their rock. I hope you remember to take time for YOURSELF too, to recharge your spirit and breathe. You've had a lot on your plate the last few years. xoxox

      Delete
  4. I understand completely. I have seen my parents pass away. I have seen my oldest brother pass away. I said goodbye to a dear friend two years ago.

    I find peace in knowing that the reason such losses hurt us so much is that we were blessed by having such fine people in our lives. That solace gives me strength.

    ReplyDelete