Thursday, December 13, 2012

And Now For Something Fun.

OK. I am done with finals for this term. We have an RN to make sure we are taken care of. And I am tired of following the distressing news. So let's have some fun!

I am going to present seven songs. Each of these songs has a musician or singer helping out who may be a surprise to you. I will present the first recording, then the answers after the fold.

Let's get started.

1. This first song is from 1960 or so. There is a back-up singer. You can really hear him on the "yeah" that echoes Sam Cooke. Who is he?



2. Staying in 1960, a big hit for Roy Orbison. A guitar player is also one of the back-up singers. If you listen closely to the "dum dum dums" you can hear him. Take a guess.



3. Now it gets tough. We are leaving the vocalists behind and turing to musicians.

The year is 1964. Don Covay has an R&B hit. But who is playing the guitar?



4. It is the year that had  the Summer of Love. The Byrds have grown a bit cynical about all that turning turning turning, and they sing about it. That is a hot trumpet player. Care to take a guess as to who he is?



5. As I understand it, Jimi Hendrix played every guitar on this record except for the 12 sting acoustic. Who played that?





6. We have made it to 1969. I know you know this record. It is the first Beatle's single to give credit to another musician. He is playing the keyboards. Know who he is?




7. Now for an inspirational record from 1970. The Hollies did not have a piano player, so someone else had to do the job. I think you know the guy.





Did you guess correctly? Check below the fold to find out!




1. Maybe not his biggest hit, but I love this record from Lou Rawls:



2. Did that sweet sounding back-up singer drift into you mind?

That was none other than Boby Goldsboro.



3. Believe it or not, this was in the oldies library at a station I worked at once. From the great Jimi Hendrix.



4. Hmm. A trumpet player know in the late 1960s. Maybe a look out over the lawn may give you the answer.

Hugh Masekela.



5. We have to look to the late 1970s for the answer to this one. I think it is a great song, but we may just disagree.

Dave Mason.



6. Another great song, but we could go round and round about Billy Preston.



7. You have to admit that Reginald Dwight has a distinctive piano style when you aren't distracted by the Yellow Brick Road.












8 comments:

  1. Great post Matt! I'm not that good at music trivia, I only got two out of seven boo hoo. But then my excuse is that the questions are Americentric, not British.

    Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than me, Fay, I only got one answer - on question six - the British band! :)

      Delete
  2. You two are just too young to know these songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm putting my guesses up before I see the answers.
    1) Otis Redding (wild guess, I really have no clue)
    2) Buddy Holly
    3) Chuck Berry
    4) Herb Alpert
    5) Jimmy Page
    6) Billy Preston
    7) Liberace (another wild guess!)

    The second video won't play here in the US :-( I went to another youtube 1960 version. Now I'll go check and see how I did...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One right!!! I'm hopeless!! I never even heard of Hugh Masekela (or Don Covey either, for that matter).

    Well, it was still a fun quiz and I loved listening to the tune, thank you, Matt! It was good to get my mind off the tragic events of the day for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got only Billy Preston, and did not have to listen to the song for that one.

    For some reason the Roy Orbison claimed it was 'not available in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, that was tough! I only got one too. I sure enjoyed listening to the wonderful music selection, even if I couldn't figure out the answers. :)

    I couldn't listen to Roy either DWT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. While it does not surprise me that no one knew the Don Covay record, and it doesn't surprise me that not many people knew the answers,i owuld have thought that more of you would have at least known the other songs. I realize that the ladies here are only 29 and these songs were before their time, but I didn't think it was THAT hard.

    ReplyDelete