Saturday, March 24, 2012

A bit of weekend levity...

As I've previously related, I worked for some time on PC hardware technology, starting before Microsoft Windows made the PC a household necessity, and before the internet became ubiquitous.

In those days I was proud to be one member of a vast cadre of people working to make what we truly believed would be a better world.

Now when I look at what's become of "social media" and "Web 2.0", I often wonder. It's not an unalloyed good, to be sure.

But now and then I run across a story which demonstrates that important parts of the vision we had - a vision of individual empowerment, of people gaining and exploiting opportunities which simply didn't exist before - have truly been realized.

This is one such story. I hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how neat! I hope he gets paid for his ideas and his work...his readers were wise to caution him against getting screwed.

    I guess I'm going to have to check out this "reddit" place. It sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, I enjoyed reading it very much, thanks lewy.

    Never heard of reddit, guess I'll join lady red and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1

    Good story (and good story in the story). I was never much of a fan of the whole idea of voting on comments, but obviously it worked out pretty well for this guy.

    Thanks for the link, lewy. Of course, now I want to know the rest of the story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of reddit but never visited. I loved this part:
    At first, Ohanian and Huffman didn’t have any users, so they made dozens of bogus accounts and posted content themselves.

    LOL!!! It's an amazing story. I hope he is very successful. Thanks for posting this, lewy.

    ReplyDelete