Thursday, January 12, 2012

PSA: The somewhat pleasant late unpleasantness with comments...

So. Blogger finally rolled out threaded comments, which is awesome, all some things considered. (I was using threaded comments on Slashdot, oh, I dunno, fifteen years or so ago, or three centuries in Internet time...)

Blogger however failed to warn folks and failed to have a way to roll back the change, short of changing the way we deal with comments (like having a separate page to comment on, a la Althouse). The change broke a couple features we have, like the numbering of the comments, and the nifty (iidssms) emoticon menu. Emoticons still work if you know the codes.

As of right now I know of one person (DWT) who is unable to view comments at all. If you find yourself in this boat, please email me and let me know what browser you are using, and if you can view the comments on Blogger's own blog (the first link I posted above). That should tell me whether it's specific to our template, or a general blogger problem.

Also, please consider downloading Google Chrome. It's awesome, as software goes these days.

Long term, I think this is a positive sign - Blogger is being maintained and its features are keeping up. I suggest in the medium term we look at updating to one of their new model templates, which are likely to be better supported.

I'm going to be unavailable for some time during the day today - I'll try to check back in Thursday evening.

thankyouveddymuch.

17 comments:

  1. Oh noes! I can't see any comments!

    Hmmm... On closer inspection, the problem appears to be limited to just this thread. I can see comments on the others though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, whattyaknow- I can see comments on this thread now!

    : P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alphie! Glad you can see comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a bit ashamed to admit that I was being silly...

      (I couldn't "see" any comments because there weren't any until I posted.)


      BTW- is there a way to smallificate text, or just to boldyize and italicify text?

      Delete
  4. What happened to the "like" button?

    /ducks and runs

    Seriously - it looks great - love what you've done with the place! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see you Lyana! Yep, the Table is undergoing a facelift; partially imposed by blogger and partially a result of lewy's mad skillz. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady red! I sneak in for a quick lurk on a pretty regular basis, but don't seem to have time to comment much these days - I really ought to be doing something else at the moment, but I'm procrastinating... :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow. I guess we don't need an emoticon menu. Just type in the code and voila! Instant emoticon! Thanks lewy! Or was it blogger?

    I say give the praise for the good stuff to lewy, and throw a shoe at blogger for the quirky stuff. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... I just decided that I'm not particularly a fan of the reply *feature* that blogger has gifted upon the table. I'm not sure if it's because it's not deferentiated enough, or if it's simply unnecessary for our threads.

    My reply comment to lady red seems a like the written equivalent of butting into a conversation

    ReplyDelete
  8. FWIW everything seems to work just fine for me (using an iPhone 4). I will note that I typed iPhone with a lowercase "p" but autocorrect immediately "fixed" it for me; I'm not so retentive as to bother capitalizing it. Just want to put that put there : /

    One nice thing that I've noticed is that comment preview actually seems to work for me now. It had previously been somewhat quirky; it often would not preview and would only post after hitting the post button a few times.

    Something that seems to have changed for the worse- for me at least- is that I can't seem to be able to select text from an existing comment (for the purpose of copy/paste/quoting someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Something that seems to have changed for the worse- for me at least- is that I can't seem to be able to select text from an existing comment (for the purpose of copy/paste/quoting someone."

      Hmm, I just cut and pasted your para above.

      Delete
  9. Must be an iPhone- or the iPhone browser (safari) issue. Im sure that I had been able to select comments in the past. Now I can't select comments; I can only select from the original post. Hmmm...

    No big worries though, as I don't really do it all that often. I'm more of a power-lurker than a power-quoter. Plus I like to put quoted text in italics, and it's really a pain to add the tags with the iPhone. I have to toggle back and forth between 3 different keyboards to get all the characters for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, it's been a few hours and now I can actually select & copy text from comments...

    However it won't let me paste it into the comment box. I am able to paste the selected text into other apps, so I know the copy part is working. Curious.

    Well, at least it seems like something's going on behind the scenes somewhere (which should be encouraging for DWT).

    ReplyDelete
  11. However it won't let me paste it into the comment box. I am able to paste the selected text into other apps, so I know the copy part is working. Curious.

    It looks like it worked for me using Google Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you were more of a power quoter than power lurker, Alphie.

    You always have interesting things to say and a great sense of humor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, my peppermint tea is ready (I know, Fay, I know ;-) so I'm going to turn in. Good night to any still up...

    ReplyDelete