Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting Bin Laden

Riveting story about the operation. I found it even more fascinating as I'm in the midst of the book about Operation Redwing, Lone Survivor, by Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell. These guys are incredible, Marcus talks about their Seal training in depth. Yeah, there are some rah-rahs for Obama in this piece but just skip that part if it bothers you. We're lucky to get this kind of detail from the guys who pulled it off - the best of the best.

A snippet ~


The SEALs’ destination was a house in the small city of Abbottabad, which is about a hundred and twenty miles across the Pakistan border. Situated north of Islamabad, Pakistan’s capital, Abbottabad is in the foothills of the Pir Panjal Range, and is popular in the summertime with families seeking relief from the blistering heat farther south. Founded in 1853 by a British major named James Abbott, the city became the home of a prestigious military academy after the creation of Pakistan, in 1947. According to information gathered by the Central Intelligence Agency, bin Laden was holed up on the third floor of a house in a one-acre compound just off Kakul Road in Bilal Town, a middle-class neighborhood less than a mile from the entrance to the academy. If all went according to plan, the SEALs would drop from the helicopters into the compound, overpower bin Laden’s guards, shoot and kill him at close range, and then take the corpse back to Afghanistan.





Read it all here at The New Yorker

Thanks to Hot Air for the find.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Marcus Luttrell's book for quite some time. I think I'll order it from Amazon today, if it's not gold-plated.

    Thanks for the great link, florrie. I'm going there now to read the article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lady red, you won't be sorry if you order it! I try to be thrifty so get my books from the library (since I don't know whether or not I will like them). But his book is riveting, I can't put it down, I feel like I'm living it along with him.

    It's an extraodinary tale and unusual for us civilians to be able to get such insight into SEAL's training and mission.

    ReplyDelete