Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Beating The Odds

This is a wonderful and uplifting story of a young man's fight for recovery after sustaining horrific burns over 85% of his body.

Derek Thomas, 19, had been heading home to San Diego from a high-altitude training camp in Mammoth. When he arrived by emergency jet at the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital & Medical Center, he was unconscious. Third-degree burns covered more than 85% of his body.

Doctors gave him a 1% chance to survive.

But survive he did! I think it would take a special type of person to be a nurse on a burn unit. I'm not sure I'm that tough; the nurses and doctors who do this work are my heroes.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, Lady Red. I think it is a hard enough job as it is. I am just glad that fine, caring people such as you are willing to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the whole thing. It's amazing that he even has the will to go on after what happened. Incredible that he's been able to make so much progress. That's one tough kid.

    As for nurses, I think it takes a special kind just to be a nurse, let alone one in a burn unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! In my early 20s I had a two-inch hypertrophic/keloid scar on my chest and I can still remember the intense, painful itchiness that would drive me crazy! I'm just trying to imagine that sensation over 80+% of my skin surface...

    P.S. We had a Verizon technician visit today and it seems like the DSL connection is back to normal -- knock wood.

    ReplyDelete