Thursday, April 7, 2011

Here's What's Blooming!

lewy is going to trump me with those gorgeous photos from London but I'll post these anyway as my pictures are starting to pile up. We can all use some visual delights after watching the state of affairs in US politics, eh? As always, click on image for full size.

Rhododendron 'April Rose' One of the earliest bloomers and fully double (although it actually starts blooming in late March).




A favorite of mine, Omphalodes cappadocia 'Starry Eyes', common name navelwort. It will spread and snake through the bark and is very easy to divide.


Rhododendron 'Pink Snowflakes'


This is a funny little shrub I've had for 10 years; it bloomed for the first time this spring. Must like it here in Olympia! Ligustrum sinense 'Wimbei' (Chinese privet).


A lovely prostrate willow, Salix nakamurana var. yezoalpina


Rhododendron 'PJM'


R. lutescens, which I added to my garden for the gorgeous long stamens.


A tiny alpine plant, Soldanella; took 3 years to bloom but worth the wait, don't you think?


Not a great picture of the bloom but I'm including it because it's an unusual color for this plant - Corydalis solida 'G.P. Baker'


Helleborus x ballardiae 'HGC Pink Frost' aka Lenten rose.


Another hellebore, 'Mardi Gras'


Pulmonarias are known as the 'boy & girl plant' as they are almost always different shades of pink and blue. Here is one that's solid white, P. rubra 'Albocorollata'


Rhododendron 'Mary Fleming'


Helionopsis umbellata sp. aff. DJHC 99169. That's some name for a teensy plant :-) The foliage looks bad right now but the flower far outshines it anyway.


R. recurvoides. I flipped a leaf so you could see the beautiful, felt-like indumentum covering the underside.


Here is Epimedium grandiflorum 'Dark Beauty'; most Bishop's hats have leaves ranging from greens to reds but this is the only chocolate-colored one I've run across. Eventually it has pretty yellow flowers but it's the foliage I was after!


Scopolia carniolica


I saved the best for last! This is one of my favorite plants, it's hardy as can be - evidenced by its surviving all our moves! The blooms come out before the heart-shaped leaves which eventually tower over them and can get to be about 8" across. This is one of the most fantastic-looking flowers I've ever seen, like something from outer space! Nature is truly magnificent. Here is Trachystemon orientalis, commonly known as Russian borage.


Hope you enjoyed them.

9 comments:

  1. And I hope I didn't get carried away and post too many.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos! I'll bet your garden is the most glorious in your whole town! My favourites are the April Rose rhodie and the delicate looking Hellebore Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And I hope I didn't get carried away and post too many."

    As if that were possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh florrie, I just love your rhodies! They are spectacular! Noah and I are also fascinated by Trachystemon orientalis...what a weird and lovely bloom.

    Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures...you're a VERY good photographer. The composition and colorful detail are a joy.

    It's spring! :X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the nice comments!

    I spend most of my time in the garden or thinking about it and I really appreciate having a place I can post about the plants.

    lady red, if I get a start I could send one to you when it goes dormant in the fall. It is a hardy plant and will spread - but not invasively - to make nice colonies and the fuzzy leaves are beautiful and long-lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I hope I didn't get carried away and post too many.

    Flowers are precious. Bits are free. :)

    I love that you have a garden, and share it with us, flo...

    ...I can enjoy the beauty and do none of the work! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Florie ... I love the photos, all of them and I'm grateful you take the time to share them. The last one, Trachystemon orientalis, fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ari and lewy!
    Aridog, if I can get starts I'd send you & Judi one too. It would do just fine in your colder climate and it's a plant that takes no attention, I just throw some fertilizer on it every few years.

    I will have to post a pic of it in the summer, the leaves are quite impressive by then!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful florrie, what a delight to see your "blooms."

    My very first rhoddie is blooming now, it looks a lot like your "April Rose."

    ReplyDelete