Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dueling Histories

Two days ago, April 12, 2011, was the 150th anniversary of the attack on Fort Sumter, the beginning the United States Civil War.

Also two days ago was the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight, as cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin slipped the surly bonds.

I have been trying to determine for myself which was the more important of these two events.

The Civil War has been called 'the first modern war'.  The combatants introduced such innovations in weaponry on land as repeating rifles to increase firepower, and the widespread use of rifling in rifle barrels to increase accurate range.

On the naval side of the war, of course, the introduction of armored, steam-powered warships, as well as a functional (though failed) submarine, the fear of which began an arms race among the European powers that led to the goliath warships of the German, British and French navies at the start of World War I.

Along with the purely deadly portions of the war came such things as aerial reconnaisance (from hot-air balloons) long distance communications via the telegraph, and the ability to move great armies across the country in a length of time never before possible via railroads.

The results of the conflict were mixed.

It did lead to the emancipation of a whole race of brutally enslaved people, and the beginning of their march toward equality, but it also led to a much-strengthened central government, the first income taxes, the draft, suspension of habeus corpus, and other troubles that still plague us today.

The Gagarin spaceflight was another escalation in the cold war, and the science war that began with Sputnik I, and showed an increasingly nervous America how far behind we had fallen.

It led, directly, to the US landing men on the moon less than 10 years later, to the miniaturization of electronics (i.e personal computing) to great strides in medical telemetry, weather forecasting, world-wide communications, and the beginning, perhaps, of an 'all mankind is related' mentality.  You must judge for yourself if it also spurred the scourge of multi-culturism.

It had, and retains, the potential to free all of mankind from the prison of Earth, and to send our progeny across the universe, so that when the Sun is cold and the Earth a burnt-out cinder, there may still be humans left, probably arguing among themselves about where the race actually originated.

Or not, given the situation today.  With the upcoming final flights of the shuttles, and their retirement, for the first time since 1963, the United States of America will not have the capacity to put a person into space.  We will be back to where we were fifty years ago.

Farther back than that, actually, as the plans for our next space-going vessel have been shelved for now, in order for NASA to perform its new primary mission of boosting the self-esteem  of camel-riding third worlders whose closest connection to the space program before this was to cheer when the shuttle Columbia broke up and burned on re-entry in 2003, killing all aboard.

Hmmm.  When I began this piece, I thought I knew which of these historical events was the more important, but I think I've changed my mind while writing it.

Tell me what you think, please.

17 comments:

  1. Space, is more important. Though as you point out, it may not be the USA leading the way. Our civil war is still too fresh and bleeding for objective evaluation in the larger sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It pains me as a non American to see what has become of America.

    No space program saddens and frightens me.

    What the hell are you thinking America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "to cheer when the shuttle Columbia broke up and burned on re-entry in 2003, killing all aboard."

    Well, the primary cheering was for the main course. A dead Israeli.

    Dessert consisted of the remaining crew, dead Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could make a smarmy comment about this admin's NASA mission being outreach to a certain group...but instead I'll just say it's always a pleasure reading anything you write, Dances.

    I have no opinion on the matter at hand. However, I just read a wonderful book of historical fiction about Gettysburg, "Killer Angels". I thought of you because you introduced me to another fantastic book in that genre "At the Gates of the Alamo".

    I would highly recommend "Killer Angels" to anyone interested in the Civil War (particularly, the men who commanded during the battle of Gettysburg).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luther said Our civil war is still too fresh and bleeding for objective evaluation in the larger sense.

    I agree wholeheartedly Luther. Even 150 years later, we're not done grieving, and the resentment still smolders. We are incapable of historical perspective at this time.

    DWT, both of the events you chronicle have profound importance, but space is our future. The past is done. I felt like wailing and rending my clothes when it was announced that our space program is no more.

    If we ever get our country turned back around, I think it's imperative that we take a broom to NASA and reinstall our best and our brightest. Then let's ramp up our space program and build a base on Mars, dammit.

    Excellent writing, Dances. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florrie, thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if I can borrow "Killer Angels" at our new, multi-million dollar (your tax dollars at work!) library, where we have 50 employees and 49 books. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, brother!

    Yes, nothing but the best with public funds, eh? And I'm a "Friend of the Library". But when it comes to spending our tax dollars carefully, it almost never happens, on any level.

    lady red, I thought of you too as I read this book. Ralph Peters described it as the definitive book written about Gettysburg, I heard about it when Michael Medved was interviewing him (he has written several books about that war under a pseudonym). I remember you and Noah had visited battle sites and were interested in this topic. I think you'd like it allot, I hope it's one of the 49 books!!

    tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, when I began to write this, I was a firm believer in the future. One who saw space as our way out of the mess we have allowed to ooze over us.

    But I realized as I wrote that the mess is oozing ever-faster, and that the anti-everything forces of islam, in close conjunction with the anti-everything-western forces of so-called progressivism, are closer to victory than any evil that has ever threatened the civilized world.

    And yes, I do most assuredly count the progressives as enemies of true civilization, no less than the more vicious but no more dealy forces of islam.

    So, that makes the lessons of the Civil War far more important in my mind than they were.

    Because the Second American Revolution will likely be fought with home-made weapons, burning black powder, against a government that pauses in it tyranny five times per day in order to prostrate itself to mecca.

    I really see little chance that the west will survive even until the end of my allotted span of years, and I deeply and truly pity any girl-child born recently. How long will it be until punitive stonings are held on the Nall in Washington, D.a.*

    *District if allah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Florrie, thanks for the book recommendation. I am almost finished with my current read, by Bernard Cornwell about a little known battle of the First American Revolution, titles 'The Fort'.

    Given Cornwell's reputation for excellent research in his work, it really brings a less savory flavor to Paul Revere, and the efficacy of the early militia companies.

    After that I have 'Obasan' by Joy Kogawa, about the internment of the Japanese-Americans in WWII, then a book titled 'A Man In Uniform' by Kate Taylor about the Dreyfuss affair.

    I heartily recommend the firast (I will be finished with it this evening) and will report soon on the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "firast"

    Dances is so ghetto!!

    :-)

    But seriously, that book sounds good too, I'm just finishing a book and needed a good recommendation.

    BTW, if Alphie wanders back in...after looking at my garden pictures...(tee hee), the book is "The Devil in the White City". I can hardly put it down! I thought of Alphie because it is about the architects who made the 1893 Columbian Exposition a reality (the Chicago World's Fair) paired with the story of a serial killer preying off women who came to see it.

    It's fascinating and frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I finished 'The Fort' and was disappointed. NOT in the book, which I still strongly recommend, but in the historical outcome of the battle.

    I've been struggling through 'Obasan' for two days, and think it will go back to the library, today.

    It is not what I thought, but a story of Japanese-Canadians, who, it turns out, were treated even worse than Japanese-Americans during WWII.

    But that is not why I am returning it.

    I just can't get interested due to the writing style.

    I still have 'A Man In Uniform' to start, and while at the library, I will look for the books that Florrie suggested above.

    Umm, Florrie, by any chance was the 'Devil' in your book named Mudgett or Holmes? Those are both aliases of the same man. I've read of him, before. Possibly the most prolific serial killer in american history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Dances; it's a fascinating book, I think you'd love it. Being a problem solver, I you'll find the details about making the White City a reality very interesting.

    Thanks for the update, I'll add The Fort to my library request list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, just got back from the library. They had 'Killer Angels' and I took that, but no mention of 'Devil' in the system, which means it is not yet in any library in PA.

    (We ARE still pretty backward, here ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Florrie, Mudgett/Holmes, with his 'murder castle' was creepy to say the least.

    I am actually amazed that there has not been a movie about him, he was certainly far worse then Ed Gein, who was the basis for the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm surprised they didn't have it, I should have included the author in my info, sometimes that helps with my library, DWT.

    The Devil in the White City

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am actually amazed that there has not been a movie about him, he was certainly far worse then Ed Gein, who was the basis for the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'.


    Yes, it would be a chilling movie! I had never heard of him; this took place about the same time as the Ripper murders - it certainly rivaled that case in gruesomeness.

    ReplyDelete