Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Actors' Art

In one film, a group of Samurai defends a poor farming village. The warriors are led by a strong man-among-men leader whose strength and intelligence make him stand out among others. For the most part he leads with quiet dignity, but can be loud and forceful when he needs to be.



In another film, a doctor works in a slum, dealing with the human innocence and human scum. He is not the man he dreamed of being; the bottle became too important in his life. That is how he deals with the social decay he sees every day. While he can be kind, he is generally loud, vulgar, and often abusive.



A third film is the story of a man who lets life defeat him. To look at him, you know he is a broken man. Despite his position as a manager in a government bureaucracy, he is afraid of his own shadow. He stoops and shuffles through his day. To add another indignity to his meaningless existence, he finds that he is dying of cancer. At first he takes to drinking – something he has never done before. That does not help. After further searching, he finds meaning in his life: cleaning up the land and building a playground on what used to be a polluted swamp. People who know him are at a loss to explain the changes they see. The man dies half-way through the film – found dead at the newly completed playground. The second half of the film is filled with flashbacks from people at his funeral. The final flashback is from a policeman who stops by and tells that earlier in the man’s last evening that the man was sitting happily on a swing in the playground and softly singing an old song.



Three completely different roles. Each one would take a great actor to bring the part to life. But these roles were all played by one actor: Takashi Shimura.


Shimura was a contract actor with Japan’s Toho studios. Born in 1905, he was a descendent of the Samurai class. Acting on the stage in the 1930’s, he signed with Toho in 1943. He would play whatever part he was assigned. He is probably most familiar to middle-aged Americans as a scientist in 1954’s Godzilla.

He was a constant in the stable of actors used by director Akira Kurosawa. Usually overshadowed by Kurosawa stalwart Toshiro Mifune, it is Shimura who brings films to life. While, Mifune was a very good actor, he did not have the depth that Shimura had. In Kurosawa’s “Red Beard” (1965), there is a scene where Mifune – playing a doctor at a clinic for the poor in 19th century Japan – tries to be kind with a girl who had been rescued from a wretched existence. Somehow, Mifune just doesn’t quite pull it off. Even in the commentary track, the commentator notes that Shimura could have phoned in that scene whereas Mifune stumbled with it.

The first of the films I described earlier is Seven Samurai. You know the story: it was made as a western in 1960 and called “The Magnificent Seven.” In 1998, we took my son and his cousin’s to see “A Bug’s Life.” It didn’t take me long to see that I was watching another retelling of “Seven Samurai.” I’m sure the story has been filmed even more times – but “Seven Samurai” is the best. In the other tellings, there is a mercenary feel to the motivation of the defenders. In”Samurai,” is almost genetic. They are doing it because that is what is expected of them. And Shimura brings it together.

The second film is “Ikiru.” I like the film, but it is a bit dated and contrived in many ways to my eye. However, the strength of the film – lead by Shimura’s performance – makes it worth overlooking the film’s shortcomings.

The third film is an early Kurosawa work – Kurosawa called it the first film that was really his: Drunken Angel. The title character is the doctor as portrayed by Shimura. Mifune’s character was not to be that big of a role, until Mifune delivered such a strong performance that the part was expanded. While both actors were excellent, my nod still goes to Shimura.

Not many people like watching black and white films now. Even more do not like watching films with subtitles – and with Japanese films there are virtually no familiar sounding words in which to relate. But if you enjoy watching the work of a brilliant actor that transcends language and you are willing to deal with subtitles, then you will enjoy these films.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely post darling.

    However, I have to ask, do any women actually like any of these old Japanese B & W movies??? I personally find them completely torturous.

    I think it's a guy thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ikiru is a tear-jerker. I think women will like it. They may not like the character in the beginning -- he is a lost wimp, the strength he develops in the film make it powerful.

    Drunken Angel shows the side of life that most would rather ignore, but it also shows hope.

    Seven Samurai has a reputation for being violent, but there is little violence until the last twenty minutes.

    I can understand if someone does not care for B&W films in a foreign language, but anyone who appreciates the art of film making will like these films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foe those who do not know, the samurai defending the por farming village was titled 'The Seven Samurai'.

    It was impressive enough to be turned into one of the all-time best western movies, 'The Magnificent Seven'.

    'We deal in lead, friend.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dances, click on the "Read More" link to see Matt's reference to Seven Samurai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Fay - that just popped out as soon as I saw the Kurosawa reference.

    Guess I should read things first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, no need to apologise, I just didn't want you to miss anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you were so excited about the subject that you wanted to jump right in!

    I have not seen that many of Kurosawa's films -- they are so danged long. Besides these three, I have also seen "Stray Dog." That's another good one, but Shamura's performance is along the lines of the one in "Seven Samurai," so I did not mention it.

    Shimura has just a bit part in "Red Beard," so there was not much to discuss there. I have those five films on DVD. If Fay can't sleep, I put one of them on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Matt! I love old black and white movies, but I haven't seen any of the ones you discussed (other than Godzilla, of course).

    I enjoy foreign films, and I don't mind the sub-titles at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first saw Seven Samurai in 1972, then rediscovered in in the mid-'90's. When I saw Drunken Angel, I don't think I realized until the film was over that the Doctor was the same actor who played the lead Samurai. I was impressed. And then when I saw Ikiru, I was astounded.

    I look at those roles to be the points on an equalateral triangle -- each as far away from the others as they could be. And to be played so magnificently by one actor is fantastic.

    If you are not used to Japanese films, there may be some cultural adjustment that you have to make. But these films are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the recommendations, Matt. I don't mind subtitles a bit or B&W movies (I am generally opposed to "colorizing").

    When I get back on our regular computer (this is T's work lap top) I am going to request all three.

    I bet my brother has seen them; he was an exchange student to Japan around 1971 and has since that time carried a love for much of the culture and a great fondness for the people there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not like colorizing either -- I think it looks awful.

    HOWEVER -- Prior to Ted Turner's excursion into colorizing, most old films were shown on old 23rd generation 16mm prints. When Turner colorized, he use the best 35mm prints he could find. That got everyone into the practice of looking for the best prints available -- and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, please let me know what your think, Florie, both about the film and about Shimura. If you hadn't guessed, he is my favorite actor.

    I also think Kurosawa is great. He has a definite way of doing things. For example, look at the pic from "Seven Samurai." Unless you know to look, you probably wouldn't notice that virtually everything from the handle of Mifune's sword that is almost sticking into the lens to the peasant farmers in the background is more or less in focus. It is as if Kurosawa allows you to choose what you want to look at.

    Also, he almost exclusively uses only telephoto lenses. If you know what to look for, you can see that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Netflix has all 3!!

    Matt that's just fascinating, you sure know your stuff. It will make the movies even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Listen to the commertary tracks, Florie. You can get some good insight there.

    However, Kurosawa films are so long that you probably will not want to watch the film with soundtrack then watch the film with the commertary track in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete