Thursday, February 18, 2010

Surgery - What It Teaches

On Tuesday, I reported to a local hospital for day surgery to correct a botched vasectomy that has left me in constant pain for the last four years. I checked in at 5.30AM and was soon in a bed being told to drink a nasty potion--the first of a series of medicines that would induce the so-called "twilight" anesthesia, where you are awake but not alert and you forget everything.

I have vague memories of the operating room, but other than that, I remember nothing. Nothing until I awoke in post-op.

Unable to move, unable to talk and in screaming pain.

I'm recovering now. I'm much better and am actually walking around now. The surgeon says it went well and I have about a ninety percent chance of coming out of this pain-free.

But, wow, what a lesson. For a moment, to be unable to move, to give your body a command and have it not answer, to be unable to talk, to be reduced to a coarse croak.

I feel like I've just been given a second life, a second chance, and my health back.

Scary as hell, but, it appears, a necessary lesson.

7 comments:

  1. My goodness, Jourdan! I'm very glad that you're okay. Please take it easy, and don't overdo it.

    {{Jourdan}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's horrible, Jourdan, I'm glad you're better and that the surgery is over. I don't know how you coped for 4 years (no WONDER you were so touchy about baseball...just kidding, heh heh). Well, as they say, pain is a great motivator.

    I don't really understand what happened post-op. Was that a reaction to the type of anesthesia you had? Did they give you a satisfactory explanation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Botched vasectomy, eee gods!

    Anyway, I'm glad you are better and taking it in your stride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jourdan, I'm glad you're up and about (and online!). Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, no wonder you've been so grouchy for the last four years...

    Just kidding :)

    But seriously, I hope you feel 100% better very soon.

    I had two experiences late last year with conscious sedation for a series of dental treatments. It was wonderful, didn't feel a thing and slept the most restful sleep for about 15 straight hours after each treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jourdan....very glad you're on the road to recovery. Your experience confirms my theory about how sharp knives and my junk should never meet. However, your experience sounds like the problem is resolved...here's hoping for the very best.

    That said, your description of how the post op pain came on mirrors my experience with a cervical spine injury, similar to a "stinger" that does not subside timely, where I was essentially limited to a chair, recliner or wheeled, dependent upon others for food and Morphine or Demoral...which did almost nothing to relive a dang thing. I could not move without explosive pain, period, try to walk and I'd faint...had to be helped to the Loo and held upright to just pee, etc. 9 months of physical therapy later I was okay again...but I will never ever forget the experience. One relapse about 10 years later, and since then no major issues, although I do consume quite a bit of codiene even now for residual effects, usually brought on by some stupid twisting move I might make.

    It sounds like there was a surgical solution to your problem, which is reassuring. For me, it was a 50/50 surgical proposition or about 70/30 for PT, but more aggravation. The weird thing was I had no injury to the limbs and body areas where the pain "seemed" to be...it was all nuerological caused by pieces of loose bone scraping my spinal cord. I learned one thing...how to remain absoltuely motionless for long periods of time. I also learned to not lift anything off center, ever.

    Here's to recovery fast and complete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, I should add that along with a serious re-set of my pain threshold, the experience gave me new appreciation for what women must experience during child birth. No man would voluntarily invite that twice.

    ReplyDelete