Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jobs Bill Passes

The gridlock plaguing Washington was broken yesterday when Harry Reid's jobs bill passed the senate 62-30.  Five Republicans broke ranks to vote "yea", including Scott Brown, the newly elected Senator from Massachusetts.

The bill includes payroll tax exemptions to encourage sluggish businesses to begin hiring Americans,  and a tax credit for those who keep employees on the payroll for 52 weeks.  I support these tax cuts.

I haven't read the bill in it's entirety; does it include spending cuts as well?   Is it loaded with pork?  More research is needed before I can applaud the passage of this bill.  Color me suspicious.

Who were the eight senators who didn't bother to vote at all?   Hmm, more research....

4 comments:

  1. Time has been a precious commodity lately, and I'm about to race out the door again. If anyone wants to "update" the above post with information about the jobs bill, or add links, please jump in!

    Yesterday, I almost put up a thread about Obama's health care proposal, but I'm so burned out on the whole health care "debate" that my keyboard shrieked in agony as my fingers began to type. A numbness is settling in...after all, what's left to say that hasn't been said, and argued, and dissected a million times? Heavy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it says something about how wrong things have gotten generally that Scott Brown could say, "hey, it's ONLY 15 Billion", and point to the fact that most of it seems pretty well directed, and kinda have a point.

    Personally I'm not completely anti-spending, I'm anti-BAD-spending, and anti-spending-we-can't-afford.

    The opposing the latter has been a barrel-fishing exercise over the last year (and longer, truly), while the jobs bill doesn't immediately sound horrible.

    Give it till noon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they should consider that the best way to create jobs is to get out of the way and quit taxing the snot out of everyone, rather than take money from the people and give pennies on the dollar back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. What Matt said.
    I don't consider Brown to really be much of a conservative, so his support of this bill wasn't any surprise.

    ReplyDelete