Friday, May 21, 2010

A Middle Aged Man's Manifesto

I apologize in advance for what is going to appear to many to be a depressing post. However, I would ask for you to consider for at least a moment what I have to say here, if only by way of a basic explanation—understanding is something that I have long felt is out of the question.

When I was a young man, I found myself—for reasons partly of my own making but also in no insignificant part for reasons of the making of unthinking and heedless men whose leadership positions expected more of them—in a very bad situation. This came hard after a horrific teenage era, which saw me suffer deep rejection, coolly, calmly and wickedly delivered, at the hands of the girls I found so beautiful and magical and those of my male peers. A heavy blow under any circumstance but made all the worse by the total failure of my hapless father to provide anything by way of guidance, of governance, of expectation, of benevolent leadership.

The end result of this twin blow was me, broken and helpless, unable to so much as shave without supervision lest I try to hurt myself with the blade.



It was during this time in hospital that I met, purely by chance, a scared and wild-eyed young women, who I spoke to again and again, trying to help. She killed herself a few weeks later when our masters weren’t looking.

A short while later, as I began to recover back home in Los Angeles, I took a long walk in the evening. It was one of those evenings only Southern Californians know: a cool, luminescent orange-blue sky, a soft and refreshing ocean breeze, bright green grass, the city lights twinkling on around me. And I found myself thinking of that poor woman, and of myself, and I made a vow then to myself.

Not just some random vow, not some low-rent version of a New Year’s resolution, but a real vow, an oath, a sworn undertaking. I vowed: that should I ever reach the point in my life where that woman found herself, that instead of taking that dark path I would, as an alternative, as a means of escaping a situation which has become unbearable, simply walk away from my life to date and attempt to build a new life elsewhere, far away. No matter how bad things got, I could not willingly walk away from the beauty of this world, of such skies.

Have I reached that point? This is where the explanation gets tough, because, yes, but, no, I didn’t fulfill that vow.

On the one side I have a wife who loves me, three almost divinely beautiful children and a job that many wish for and only a few get.

All of this is true. But what makes this all the more sad and difficult is that due to what happened to me as a young man I was broke and beyond repair before I even met my wife, before those children were conceived, before that job offer came my way. Because I did not heretofore realize this in any real way (hints, always, hints, but never the cold hand of reality intruded upon my daily thoughts), I did what any apparently healthy man in my position would do: I assumed that my situation would better as I matured and began to succeed through hard work and effort. And, so, I married, went to law school to better myself, succeeded beyond my hopes, even owned my own home and, of course, had those three souls that convinced me beyond all other available evidence that God, indeed, must exist.

Despite such apparent success, the underlying reality of my condition never really changed. I was a broken man by 24 and I remained a broken man even as I became a whirlwind of productive, socially-sanctioned activities. I remained a broken man even despite my wife’s smile, despite my oldest son’s sweetness, despite my younger son’s hugs, despite my daughter’s twirling in the sun.

It is not in spite of such things but because of them that I have come to realize the terrible and full scope of the problem. Any normal man, any healthy individual should be able to derive a sense of purpose, of human satisfaction from such work and such a wonderful and beloved family.

And yet, I remain a fundamentally broken man, whose heart aches with a poisonous mixture of regret and a deep longing for the past, whose mind seethes with ever-present anger about what happened to me when at some point in Junior High we were placed in the “winner” and “loser” baskets, and, above all, about my own people’s judgment that everything that I love and find dear and worthy of honor and veneration is hated and despised. From then to now, women continue to hold me in deep contempt, a clear sign that I have failed in some deep and fundamental way that is beyond any ability of mine to correct.

The result—despite a mighty effort on my part that has taken me from penniless on the streets of Berkeley to success by any conventional measure—is that I as a man have been effectively dead since around the age of 25. A gate closed in me, a road was barred, the sense of growth and possibility ended for me at that point.

So, the vow was broken as soon as it was made, for the maker had already passed from this world to a shadowy simulacrum.

I say, dead, but am I not 45? What has this dead man been doing for the past two decades?

Until recently, the answer would be: pulling myself up by my boot-straps, overcoming a poor start to life, learning the hard way what I should have been taught, finding success despite a starting handicap in the race, being the best husband and father I can be.

Today—of all days, today—circumstances, hard, cold and uncaring circumstances, objectively compel me to answer quite differently: I have been only acting out of an overwhelming sense of duty, like a man on a military mission who knows he has but a short time to live and yet feels compelled to do his duty lest he let his comrades down. I have never (or, to be more precise, have only momentarily) allowed myself to give up that sense of duty.

This duty allows this dead soul to keep moving.

I write this not to scare or to depress, nor, God forbid, to seek pity or, worse, help. Instead, I write this in the hope that my example will or can serve as a warning to young men out there in this modern world. We are taught—above all in America—that what happens to us or what we do as young people doesn’t matter.

It does matter. It matters deeply.

Young man! Seek the guidance of an older man, a man brave enough, experienced enough and manly enough to ignore the fog and noise of our poisonous culture, to ignore the dead hand of political correctness. (Note that this rules out, completely, college professors.) Find out the truth of your situation: about what it is and means to be a man; about how to ignore the romantic songs and movies and know the true essence and unforgiving judgment of women; about the full and real value of true education; about duty; about honor; about what competition really means; about what work and career actually are in the real world of real men.

Young man! Arm yourself not with degrees and credentials, but with wisdom!

Young man! Be ever watchful, be ever careful, assume you have been misled and misguided and proceed cautiously from there.

Lest one day you find yourself deep in middle age and decades dead.

25 comments:

  1. Very moving, Jourdan, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your metaphor of 'duty' strikes deeply into my life just now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add. I didn't find your thoughts depressing, sobering and reflective, yes. As you at least have your duty, many have not even that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jourdan, I can't even begin to imagine what you went through that makes you feel the way you do.

    I have no words really, just wanted to acknowledge that I had read your post (four times actually). I hope that you find whatever it is you need in order to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jourdan, sometimes the best we can do is put one foot in front of another.

    If you can, set aside the things that trouble you. Put them on a shelf in your mind, and close the door.

    Those of us who were dealt a bad hand must work extra hard to insure that it doesn't taint the next generation. We're done. We're shaped. Those coming up behind us don't need our nightmares. The only job left to us is to protect them.

    The younger generation need us. The world today is upside down. Things will get worse; they'll need what we know, our survival skills.

    You may feel dead inside, but you are a precious soul, and you are loved and cherished. I'm glad you survived. Thank you for trusting us enough to share what you feel inside.

    I hope you find peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said lady red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Thank you for trusting us enough to share what you feel inside"

    Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "about how to ignore the romantic songs and movies and know the true essence and unforgiving judgment of women"

    Such a sweeping statement Jourdan. Do you feel this way about all women?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jourdan, not depressing at all. Very motivating, truth be told...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments. They are deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read and understood what you wrote. I know what it is like to look at oneself in middle age and see that one has been dead since ones early twenties. All that is left is a hollow corpse which moves and acts but which is completely empty inside. I also know that there is no recovery or revival. The death that overtook one in those early days was so complete that there can not be any resurrection.

    I now feel myself very weary and tired and know that only with my last breath will I truly find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous, remember the phoenix. As long as you draw breath, there is the opportunity to rise from the ashes.

    They say life begins at 50. I believe it.

    You have to WANT life and EMBRACE life for a spiritual resurrection to occur. Simply "giving up" is a shallow response to the gift of life.

    Please read Fay's post here. Perhaps you can draw a spark from this wonderful man and his story.

    All my best to you. I hope you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone - This post has been cross-posted at The Spearhead, one of the new mens' movement blogs. While there is commenting there, some may comment here.

    Fay -

    Let me answer your question properly. As a rule, generalizations are just that: generalizations. There are many exceptions to the rule, in some cases more than others.

    Most people don't care for Roissy too much because he is deeply cynical, but he does a service by putting the sword to what he calls "pretty lies". This is what I mean here with regard to what men are told about women and about what they want. They are being misled and it is leading to a lot of severely broken hearts, which results in a lot of broken men. These men don't talk about it, but I assure you there are there, just like Nixon's "silent majority".

    But let me answer your question more fully by reversing the situation. Let's say that I am friends to a young woman who is below average in looks and, lately, has put on a bunch of weight.

    This is what I'd tell her (not just like this, of course, but with tact and empathy, but this is the gist):

    I had a friend who did his graduate studies in psychology at UCLA. They were studying men and women and attraction. They put these men in their 20s, 30s and 40s on two tables on a sidewalk cafe. They were told they were getting a free lunch for signing on to the study and that afterwards the professor would tell them what it entailed.

    However, the study was actually already in progress. One by one, the team of scientists sent lone women down the sidewalk and took careful note of the men's reaction.

    The pretty and the sexy got looks and smiles. The average got the occassional look. The unattractive passed by with only polite smiles, which the men avoided if at all possible.

    And then they sent an overweight and unattractive woman down that sidewalk and the men didn't even notice her. She simply did not register. When asked afterwards, most did not even remember her passing by even when shown a photograph.

    What does this mean?

    Does this mean that men are cold, heartless creatures who care only about physical beauty and naught else?

    Well, yes and no. It's not that simple, but the basic, general rule--and the reason women spend billions on diets, work out fads, makeup, clothes and shoes--is that men react positively to physical beauty and negatively to the lack thereof.

    Is not that poor woman and person, with feelings? Should she not be valued? Perhaps she is a beautiful creature, full of good will, spreading hope and happiness whereever she walks.

    Yes, but the general rule is iron, it still applies.

    What I'm saying is that as men react to physical beauty women react to weakness in men. It repels them, it disgusts them, it causes men to simply wink off of their radar.

    Young men need to know this, they need to know the full and complete truth of what this means. They are told in school to express their feelings: women don't want men to express their feelings. They are told by the culture to be gentlemen and treat women as special: the hordes of women sleeping with thugs proves otherwise. (Ask ANY young man in college who is getting laid? The nice guys or the bad boys?)

    In short, the pretty lies need to perish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm. It seems to me that men have been attracted to beautiful women, and women have been attracted to powerful men, since we crawled out of caves.

    Thugs are powerful men, so beautiful women are attracted to them. Nothing new under the sun as far as I can see. Simple biology.

    Most of us progress beyond those base instincts, of course, and choose our mate based on more refined qualities.

    Personally, I don't care if men think I'm beautiful. My husband does, and that is all that matters to me.

    What am I missing? I don't think men are repelled by ordinary women, and I don't think women are repelled by ordinary men. We're not all Becks and Posh, now are we?

    I don't understand "pretty lie", but I'm trying Jourdan, I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lady Red Anonymous says that for him 50 was a long time ago. You will never understand for it has to be lived and not just read about. When a man passes though the portals of profound despair and step on to the plain of utter emptiness then there is never to be any turning back.

    I shall die hating women with an intensity that can not be expressed in words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alrighty then. Not much left to say.

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  16. To hate all of any group, no matter the perceived provocation, is an abdication of the power of reason.

    Each person deserves at least the chance to prove they are worthy of the hate.

    If you hate indiscriminately, just because of what a person is outwardly, rather than inwardly, the fault lies with you, rather than with those you are hating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Dances, well said as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well said Dances.

    And a message to all "Anonymous" posters. Please click on the drop down menu and pick Name/URL (you don't have to have a URL) but please type in a name or a nick. It's not that hard really, abc or 123 will do.

    Then we'll be able to tell one anonymous woman hater from the other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A problem with any movement when it begins is to separate those who join out of a love and a wish to correct an injustice or a bad system and those who simply hate.

    In my view, a mens' movement is badly needed right now, as boys are falling well behind and there are so few men around these days.

    However, it needs to be more than just a mirror image of the "women good, men bad" womens' movement or it will have failed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Part of the 'no men around' trouble is that men have been demonized in society as nothing better than potential rapists/abusers/etc, as illustrated by the recent case where a driver stopped and shouted at kids playing in a busy road, and was then accused of attempting to abduct them.

    Worse yet, the case a couple of years ago where a young girl was found drowned and a man came forward later to tell how he had seen her alone, but was afraid to stop her for fear of being arrested as a child molester.

    We have reached essentially the reductio ad absurdum of the women's movement, where law and public belief/policy now correspond with that 'all men rapists/abusers' of the once marginal fothing male haters in the movement.

    My sister is a teacher in a Children's Aid Society pre-school, co-located with a daycare center, and the few times I've gone there for any reason the looks on the faces of the teachers/daycare workers have been suspicious beyond belief even After I have identified myself, in great contrast to the kids, who are so amazed to see a man on the premises that they gather round and ask all kinds of fun and silly kid questions.

    I volunteered, on one of my days off from work, to go and read to the kids. My sister asked, and I was happy to do it, especially when she told me that I would be the only male reading there this term.

    It seems that even in a small town like this one, there are far too many children with either no live-in father, or at least no man involved in their rearing.

    Interestingly, the book I read to them was 'The Cat In The Hat' and the most important lesson taken from it was to beware of strangers.

    Men are being forced into 'strangerhood' all over the US, by modern mores that have no concern for families, but are more than happy to see males as nothing more than sperm donors then child-care payors. Far too many men feel the same, I an deeply sorry to say.

    It is no wonder that single moms are so heavily Democrat voters, it has been drummed into them that men are completely untrustworthy and only government can support them and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jourdan - you're post reminds me of the way i used to write at various times in my life. That is to say, it sounds like you are suffering from depression. There is nothing shameful about this; it is largely a physical disease of brain chemistry (though one that is often triggered by lifes circumstances). It wouldn't hurt to go talk to a professional about this - what have you got to lose? Like many, I am suspect of most therapists I meet, but i also have run into 1 or 2 who were FANTASTIC -- genuine, caring, thoughtful men who helped me regain my feet. Actually I feel that way about most doctors - the majority are mediocre (or worse), a few are outstanding. The key is to find the outstanding ones.

    Today I don't feel the least bit down and, like you, I am quite successful. But just like an alcohilic, I know that tomorrow could be different. And success, as you have demonstrated, is not linked to happiness. Happiness is linked to happiness! I have no doubt that, given what you've accomplished so far, you could tough it out the rest of your life, going through the motions, fooling everyone, and being unhappy. But why should you? For what reason? You don't owe anyone anything but yourself. Treat yourself to some good help; don't suffer in silence. FWIW, it made a lot of difference in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jourdan - I am going to admit something that I've held in for a few years, now.

    When I worked as a Leasing Officer at the Anchorage International Airport, I dealt with people of many nationalities, from Pre-collapse Soviets, through German, Japanese, Swiss, South Korean, British, etc.

    When I came back to PA through a series of silly misadventures that are too long to list here, I applied at the PA employment office, and given the lengthy explanation of the work I'd done, one of the jobs they listed me for was Right-of-way officer.

    Another was FSO. I prayed hard that I would be called for this, but I never was.

    Of course, after a few years of living back here in the northern tip of Appalachia, my skills and abilities have lessened to the point that I would probably be overwhelmed at any such opportunity, as is shown clearly by the comments I make.

    In any case, do not be too hard on yourself for your feelings, at some point in time nearly everyone has felt that they are living a masquerade, and that if discovered, they will be humiliated at least.

    But there are those of us out here who envy you for the things you have done, and are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i agree with another poster above; it sounds like you're depressed, you should get help.

    but really, you are responsible for your time on this planet for your own happiness. if you're not happy, you should change what is wrong. if you're not happy in your marriage, change it. if it won't change to your satisfaction, leave it. if you hate your job, get a different one. if you don't like your career, find a new one. its not a big deal.

    so you weren't mr social when you were growing up - who cares, you've done something much more important - become successful and built a family.

    what is overall far more important is that you're happy. figure out what will make that happen - and do it!

    ReplyDelete