Thursday, June 18, 2020

Trying to keep sane.

I have been contemplating for a few days about writing a post about an email I received. It was from a black bass player who sells lessons on line. I am sure they are worth it. This email, however, was about how anyone who did not speak out against the killing of blacks recently were complicit in their deaths. I was going to ask, "Just who is being silent? Everyone and his brother has spoken out against the killing of George Floyd." As for the other cases he mentioned, not all of the significant information has gotten as much play as as the news of the killings so waiting for all the information to be released may justify the silence.

I have been hesitant to write that post because, frankly, I am burned out. Today I was going to buckle down and write that post. However, I could not find the email.

Reprieved!

So I thought I would write about a couple of things I have been doing to keep my mind occupied.





Sometimes I like to play detective and look up people I used to know. One such person was someone I knew in the radio equipment business in Seattle. I didn't know him that well but you might call us friendly casual acquaintances. I knew he used to be a Seattle police officer. It turns out that he wrote a book about it.

The book came in the mail yesterday. I finished it today. It is a great book. It is funny, it is sad. It is not the usual police anecdote book, although I do love them. The author worked during the transitory period from the old way of doing things and the new way of doing things. If you can your hands on a a copy I recommend it highly.

It is interesting when you know the author of a book. It helps give you a bit of insight between the lines. In this latest case, I can see how his experiences made him the way he is as well as helping to see the person in the book as well.




I have a US ham radio license. I have not done anything with it for years but my son has expressed interest in ham radio as well. That got the interest flowing in me again.

I have been mighty suspicious that, as a resident of Canada,I could not use my US license up here. US visitors can, but I was able to confirm that residents had to have a Canadian license.

So I have been studying up. While it is not required anymore, I want to brush up on my Morse Code. I am hoping that, after study, I will have a better understanding of the technical stuff. I bought two study guides, one for each class of license. The publisher also has some sample test questions on line so we'll see how that goes when I am done after each book.




I seem to recall a quote about how it is good to live in interesting times. I just wish they weren't that interesting.



8 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Shawn Davis. Great author, great book.😁 Like you say, it's different when you know them. I'm looking forward to reading Ziskin's book.

    2020 has maxed me out on "living in interesting times." I am so done and have zero fucks left to give.

    Beam me up Scotty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When "ANTIFA" attack Churchill, is when you know you're in clown world.

      Delete
  2. I'm burned out and fed up too Matt. The "silence" of a majority of people speaks volumes...it scares 'em, and it should.

    The caucasian idiots who ruined their own cities with their "moral" grandstanding and virtue signaling, who laughed and hooted when Hillary called us a basket of deplorables, now want to move to our communities (theirs are being burned, looted, wrecked, un-policed). I despise them.

    If I didn't have to work tomorrow (because we're short-handed, thanks to enhanced unemployment), I'd drive to Tulsa for the rally. I hope a million people show up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought and researched the whole ham radio thing, and almost invested in equipment awhile back. I just don't have the time now, maybe when I retire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt! The ham thing is very relevant - where ms lewy and i have property, it's what folks use.

    We are implementing our plan D.

    I'm hanging out on bird site and am about to lock my account.

    lady red has spiritual kin on bird site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hanging out on Quora a lot.

      1) There are some good conservative voices there as well as some not-so-conservative but good to read (although they seem conservative by comparison— you have to see certain comment to even see they are not completely conservative).

      2) There are plenty on non-political things discussed that make for interesting to read.

      Delete
    2. Matt, thanks for the report on Quora! I'd spent time on it years past but I have too little attention span and am more into snark. ;)

      For instance:

      The EU is a project for the Franks and Teutons to bury the hatchet... in the Latins and Slavs...

      Delete
  5. Good for you to brush up on your ham radio skills, Matt. I had an older friend, he was a retired Navy Commander, who was also a ham radio operator. Such an interesting man, he could fix anything. The only other thing that comes to mind regarding ham radios is from the movie Testament (good but a real downer).

    ReplyDelete