Friday, May 9, 2014

The Reality of ObamaCare

From a conversation I had with another nurse, in another location, last week:

Me: Are your patients falling through the cracks of ObamaCare?

Her: The free clinic where I volunteer is empty.  Everyone is now "insured".

Me: Well, that's good, isn't it?

Her: The doctors in my area aren't taking any new patients. So everyone is dumping into our hospital's emergency department. They're packed.

Me: So does ObamaCare pay for their ED visits?

Her: No, because their problems are not emergent. Not only that, but the ED tacks on an additional $200 for wasting their time and resources on colds and other non-emergencies.

Me: So...who's picking up the tab?

Her: If the patient can't or won't pay their bill, the hospital is forced to absorb the cost. But the thing is, the patient is then blacklisted. Unless they're bleeding copiously or suffering an acute heart attack or some-such, they won't be treated. Period.

Me: What happens to them then?

Her: I don't know.

3 comments:

  1. It has been obvious all along that the only way a govern health care plan would save money is to provide less service. Too bad many people were not alert enough to realize that.

    Perhaps if we all get prescriptions for marijuana then we would all be in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote a long post and deleted it. I'm nervous that I may lose my job if I share what's going on in my little nook of healthcare. Let me just say that it isn't good.

      May as well pass that joint this way Matt. Do they still call marijuana roll ups joints? I'm hopelessly (and blissfully) mired in my own generation.

      Delete