Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dispatches From The Department - 1

Hello, old friends! It took me longer than expected to get settled back into life here in America, but I thought I would celebrate by inaugurating a new feature: Dispatches From the Department. This series will bring you snippets of life inside the foreign policy agency of the world's superpower! Take it away!

[Scene: On a Department shuttle bus. Behind me, two Foreign Service Officers are speaking, loudly]

FSO One: Well, I need to get my papers in to the Expedited Citizenship office right away too. I was supposed to get this packet in before Christmas and now it's the end of January. Well, I suppose we have time.

[NOTE: "Expedited Citizenship" is the process by which the spouses of U.S. diplomats acquire U.S. citizenship fairly quickly]

FSO Two: Yeah, they work pretty quick. We're still not decided on which way to go.

FSO One: Really? What's the issue?

FSO Two: Well, my wife is Guatemalan, and, you know, the anti-American thing is reallly in their genes. [Nervous Laugh] It's bad enough that she's married to an American, but then to become a citizen too, that may be too much for her.

FSO One: I see.

FSO Two: But, you know, I told her, whichever way she wants to go, I'll support her. I'm supportive.


Despite this obvious provocation, I refrained from killing FSO Two.

It's my New Year's resolution to lighten up, in action.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jourdan, didn't realise you were back in the US. Welcome home, good to "see" you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Jourdan! Looking forward to more dispatches.

    I'm supportive too. We don't need any more anti-American folks as citizens; too many of them were born here as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. /speechless.

    I admire your fortitude and your self-restraint Jourdan.

    Is there any sort of investigation into foreign spouses of FSO's? I mean for security purposes. Otherwise this is beyond ridiculous.

    Anyway, it's great to see you back here in the Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Jourdan. Both back to America, and back to the Table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jourdan! Welcome home!

    I love your new feature. You showed remarkable restraint in not thrashing FSO Two; he needed a good punch to the jaw. What an idiot! With any luck his wife will chose to keep her gold-plated Guatemala citizenship. The two of them can retire to Quetzaltenango and live happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lewy said!

    Are you back home in Oregon? Hope to hear more about your experiences abroad. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete