Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Modern Christmas Classic

In a recording studio, mix a Welsh brass orchestra that had been performing since 1884 with a community choir from Swansea. Have them record a contemporary protest song in a martial style. Add someone who, after a visit to the UK, takes a copy of that recording to his friend – a DJ on a Seattle radio station.

The result is a Seattle Christmas tradition for well over 20 years.

“Stop the Cavalry” was first recorded by its composer, Jona Lewie in 1980. While it was a big hit in the UK, it was not heard much in the rest of the world. In 1981 the song was recorded by the Gwalia Singers and the Cory Band. This recording seemed destined for world-wide obscurity.

In the mid 1980’s, a friend of Larry Nelson, the morning disk jockey at KOMO Seattle, brought back recordings of some songs he had heard on a trip to the UK. When Nelson listened to the songs, he was not very impressed until the Cory Band’s recording played. He started playing it on his program. While not intended to be a Christmas song originally, the line “Wish I was home for Christmas” made it one, and KOMO stared playing the song throughout its broadcast day, and it became the station’s most requested Christmas song by far. Other Seattle stations began playing the record as well. Today, it just is not a Christmas in Seattle without hearing the song.

My father was a soldier. He knew the horrors of war, and he could appreciate a good, heartfelt anti-war song. I managed to get a copy of the song and brought it to my father so he could hear it. He loved it.

This is one of those recordings that you will either love it or hate it. There is little middle ground. From the opening bells until the fading brass at the end, it is a haunting recording that is hard to forget. While most versions have the brass music, the Gwalia Singers make you feel as though you are listening to soldiers -- and that makes this recording the best.


3 comments:

  1. I listened to this last night, and then got pulled away from the 'puter before I could comment.

    I honestly don't know whether I like it or not. I think I like the music, but my brain doesn't hear it as Christmas music. The history behind this song becoming a Christmas classic in Seattle is fascinating! Thanks for giving us the low-down, Matt.

    I think Seattle-ers are a bit more edgy than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Lady Red.

    I think the reason I love it is because, to me, it speaks to those who have to continue to do those dirty tasks that need to be done -- even though it may be Christmas. I don't take it as a "Let's sit around and sing Kumbaya and hold hands." I take it as, "I wish with all my heart that we find a way to live in peace," remembering all the time Col. West's imortal words, "Just because you don't want to play doesn't mean they go away."

    And that is one of the important messages of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, how did I miss this? This is totally new to me, living here in WA most of my life, I can't believe I never heard it before. I loved the horns, all the oopm-pahs and the various bells. It sounds so British! Nice that your dad loved it too, Matt.

    I'm having such fun listening to all the varied Christmas songs. Thanks, everyone.

    ReplyDelete