Saturday, January 23, 2010

RIP Jean Simmons

Actor and screenwriter Julian Fellowes described Ms Simmons as being "among the last of that tier of movie stars who left Britain for Hollywood in the Fifties.'' She belonged, he said, to that "gentler generation of players, those who were well bred. Personally I mourn their passing. She was up there among the greats along with Audrey Hepburn and Deborah Kerr. I fear there ilk has not been replaced.''


Jean Simmons died on Friday at the age of 80.

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't realised that Miss Simmonds was that old. I always enjoyed watching her, she had a very calm presence and a beautiful grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP, Jean. I remember her best from Elmer Gantry and Spartacus, she was a true beauty and wonderful actress. Not many of her generation left, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you had asked me, i would have said that she was from the '40's. I guess that, for the most part, the classy actress seemed to die off in the '50's.

    That being said, however, the '50's did bring us Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So then I go and spell her name wrong in my comment, duh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I fear there ilk has not been replaced."

    I see that the Telegraph also made an error. I don't feel nearly as bad now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were the days. When hawt was haught.

    ReplyDelete