Monday, March 24, 2014

Saturday Night, 1972

Among other things, bandleader Neal Hefti is known for the theme song of the mid-1960’s TV show, Batman. Back then, if someone did music for a popular TV show, there had to be an album of music supposedly related to the show. In Hefti’s case, it was an album called “Hefti in Gotham City.” On that album was a cut called “Gotham City Municipal Swing Band.” That cut was an ersatz marching band tune.

 

I don’t know how many dozens of copies that album sold, but “Gotham City Municipal Swing Band” was the type of song that would have been used on small-town radio stations as a sport theme or perhaps on a TV station as a kiddie-show theme. To residence of the San Francisco Bay Area, though, that tune is remembered as the theme of “Creature Features,” KTVU’s weekly horror film show. The host of that show was Bob Wilkins. Bob Wilkins was not your typical horror movie host. No, he was not Elvira, nor was he Svengooly. He was, well, Bob Wilkins:

 

 Bob would spend some of his on camera time reading the TV Guide listings for Saturday night, asking why you were watching him. He was very droll and had a very dry wit. Those things, along with his ever-present cigar, made him a cult favorite in the Bay Area. From the Neal Hefti theme to Wilkins’s arid sense of humor, Creature Features was a part of that long-ago era.

The summer of 1972 was a special time for me. My oldest brother and his wife were living at home; my other brother was home from college, and I was getting ready to enter my junior year in high school. There were a number of things the three of us would gather around and watch together. Saturday night offered the most memorable programs of them all. The night would start with Creature Features on channel 2 from Oakland.

Later in the evening, or night, we would watch – thanks to that modern marvel of cable TV – a late night movie on KCRA from Sacramento. That movie was hosted by a guy named Geoff Wong. Curiously enough, Bob Wilkins used to work for KCRA and hosted a Saturday night movie. When he left, the station showed movies without a host. Their ratings went into the gutter. They asked Wilkins if he might suggest a new host. Wilkins suggested a friend named Geoff Wong. With that, the “Charlie Chan Film Festival was born.

 

 Wong would show old Charlie Chan movies from the ‘30’s and ‘40’s. One week he had as a guest Victor Sen Young. Young, most remembered as playing the cook Hop Sing on the TV show Bonanza, had played Charlie Chan’s number 2 son to Sidney Tolar’s Chan. As I recall, the show was taped on Tuesday. Between the Tuesday taping and the Saturday airing, Young was shot in an attempted plane hijacking when flying out of San Francisco International Airport.

 The regular guests on the show, whether they had anything to do with the old movies or not, tended to wear skimpy attire. Wong was especially happy to have Playboy Playmates as guests.

 One of the fun parts of the show, though, was that Wong offered a secret decoder ring for 25 or 50 cents. Week after week Wong would give a message in code for people to decode with their rings. Of course, my family didn’t need no stinking ring. We would dutifully take down the secret message every week. We had vowed to crack that secret code no matter how long it took. My mother, who had an intense dislike for TV and would never stay up late to watch an old movie, even joined in the quest for the elusive code. It was a family project. Every Sunday morning we would look at the latest message, add it to the previous messages, and see what we could do. I don’t know how many months it took us to crack the code, but we finally did. We were happy we didn’t send in the money.

A few months later, KCRA added the Sherlock Holmes Film Festival to its Saturday Night programming. That would last until about 2 AM. One summer morning I stayed up until dawn; the first time I ever did so. Somewhere I have a slide of the morning sunrise from my bedroom window taken that morning.

 It is hard to believe that this was over forty years ago. Sometimes I feel sorry for young people today who do not have such memory making things. I hope they find some anyway.

30 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I enjoyed walking down your memory lane, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Victor Young die from the shooting? I expected Geoff Wong to have an accent. Is that racist of me? Bob Wilkens is dry, dry, DRY as the Sahara desert. I know what you mean about loving your local people though. Most people wouldn't love JP Patches and Gertrude (seriously, I'm afraid of clowns and never mind how strange Gertrude is) but I do, as well as our beloved Stan Boreson.

    Those are some wonderful family memories, Matt. I too wish many things were more like it was when we were growing up. Like Fay said, lovely post, thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Young lived until 1980.

    Bob Wilkins died about five years ago. When I discovered that, it was as though part of my childhood had died.

    While I almost cringed when I saw that promo, Wong would discuss the racial stereotypes. I doubt the show would fly today, but he did not let things go without comment.

    My oldest brother was a JP fan. I even saw him sans makeup once. I liked Brakeman Bill, myself.

    Neat thing about Brakeman Bill: Back in 1992, a grocery store was opening up on Queen Anne in Seattle. They arranged for all of the kid's show hosts to appear. They were all alive: JP, Captain Puget, Brakeman Bill, and Stan Boreson. Boreson was last. JP and Captain Puget had gone by the time I got there. Brakeman Bill was drawing caricatures while Borseon was on. For his last number, Boreson sang his theme song. Brakeman Bill joined in singing the song as wellas well. I thought that was really classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a story JP told when I saw him without makeup (he spoke at a professional lunch I went to): Once when they were taping the show (it was taped, not live), there was a joke that was supposed to go like this:

    Gertrude: "What is 5Q plus 5Q?"
    JP: "10Q?"
    Gertrude: "You're welcome."

    Instead, Gertrude ad-libbed:

    Gertrude: "What is 2Q plus 2Q?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMAO!!!

      He had a wonderful sense of humor :-)

      So did you go to that grocery store opening? You must have had some "ins", being a DJ? I never met any of them. I still play Stan Boreson Fractures Christmas. I have it on cassette. Tom says it drives him crazy but I think he secretly enjoys it as well.

      Delete
    2. img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/scan0001.jpg"

      :-)

      Delete
  5. I was going to do some part time engineering work for a station and they were doing a live remote broadcast.

    I saw Stan's last show in 1967.

    Here is his theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsadNBgoPiolive remote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, Matt, that was fun!

    What's the matter with the poor bird?!? I think he was going stir-crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This IS fun! 2Q plus 2Q...did JP answer that one? lol Of course they would have cut it out, but it's still funny!

    We didn't watch much TV growing up, but a quarter would get us into the matinee at the theater down the street, with money left over for a coke and a box of milk duds.

    I remember occasionally watching Charlie Chan, and sometimes we'd get to watch cartoons on Saturday morning. Our favorite show on Saturdays was Outer Limits. We received our TV signal out of Phoenix, so Wallace and Ladmo were our celebrities.

    Florrie, I'm with ya on the clown thing. *shudder* :)

    Matt, it's wonderful that your love of broadcasting has stayed with you all of these years! I love these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the part about decoding the messages without the ring! What a fun family project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I assume it was a simple substitution cipher... did you compute frequency tables of the letters? In other words, figuring the most common letter should be decoded as "e", etc...

      Delete
    2. Yes, Lewy, that was it with an offset of four, as I recall. The reason it took us so long was because each message was only about one or two sentences -- not a lot of material to work with until we built up a backlog. It was fun, though.

      Delete
  9. he regular guests on the show, whether they had anything to do with the old movies or not, tended to wear skimpy attire.

    1970's version of "click-bait". ;)

    This was fun, Matt... I used to watch Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in the 1970's, with my father.

    When I was younger I remember watching Kukla, Fran and Ollie on TV at my grandfather's house. I'm looking now on Wikipedia and it seems that it must have been the CBS Children's Film Festival that I was watching - that, or re-runs on the local station. But I remember the name, and the puppets...

    You had cable in 1972? OMG... we didn't even have a color TV! Dad was color blind and the B&W TV's were sharper, so, boom, no color TV!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we didn't even have a color TV! Dad was color blind and the B&W TV's were sharper, so, boom, no color TV!

    Poor abused boy.

    tee hee

    I remember Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, it was great! Shaffer's spoof of him was spot on too.

    take a trip down memory lane, lewy.

    Lordy, I can't believe that was almost 40 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I recall, Rock Concert was on NBC. I liked In Concert on ABC -- it was simulcast on an FM station so you could listen in stereo (!). I used to run Austin City Limits on the station I worked at in Seattle in the '80's for the same purpose.

    If you ever see one of those Time-Life music collection infomercials, the video they have of Jim Croce was from one of those shows. I remember watching it when it was first run.

    Our first colour TV was delivered on Friday, October 3, 1969 -- my father's birthday. We bought it at the Sears store in Vallejo. I still remember the first Adam 12 I saw in colour that Saturday night. The most common excuse for not getting a colour set was, "I want to wait until they are more reliable." I had a friend whose father said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moar great seventies TV - anyone remember pro bowling?

    omg dad and grandpa were totally riveted watching the bowling... actually it was kinda cool because in New England, it was candlepin bowling (which was also all over the TV) and the smaller balls were more kid friendly...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been known to watch pro bowling back in the day.
    img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/emoticons/ashamed0001.gif"

    In the mid-60's, we kids would stay up on Sunday nights and watch Mission Impossible with Barbara Bain and Martin Landau. Awesome show. Another couple great shows we'd never miss were The Wild, Wild West and Man From U.N.C.L.E. (I was in love with Ilya Kuriyakin).

    Those were the good ol' days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee florrie, I was in love with Ilya Kuriyakin too. And Little Joe from Bonanza. And Danger Man. And Simon Templar.

      So sad that Michael Landon died so young, I adored him. David McCallum still looks good at 80! And Roger Moore is 86 and still a very handsome man.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, Roger Moore CAN'T be that old, can he?

      *sigh*

      Where does the time go?

      Delete
    3. I adored Michael Landon too. I loved him in both Bonanza and Little House. And I had the biggest crush on Johnny Crawford who played Mark on the Rifleman! Oh, and the boy who played Travis in Old Yeller, Tommy Kirk. Kirk is in his 70s (how can that BE?) and yummy Johnny Crawford is in his late 60s.

      Delete
  14. Memories...like the corners of my mind...

    img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/emoticons/___My_Friend_Music____by_Kalia1.gif"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Back in the early '60's (maybe even late '50's) we watched roller derby. I was young enough that I thought it was real!

    I think Mission Impossible was one of the greatest comedy shows of all time. A station up here used to show it, I would would ROFL at some of the things that happened.

    I read an article somewhere that said "So here you have a world famous actor and a world famous model, they do all these missions all over the world, and no one ever recognizes them?"

    Florie, I love that graphic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few summers ago a bunch of local pro roller girls were skating through town handing out flyers.

      In the flesh, they were huge, and powerful, and they skated effortlessly. Very sexy in their own special way.

      Delete
    2. Roller Derby is actually up for consideration for the 2020 Olympics .

      This I learned while looking the sport up ..finding it is still played in Detroit .

      I thought surely this is all jest...guess not :)

      Delete
    3. Seattle has a league called the Rat City Roller Girls: http://ratcityrollergirls.com

      Delete
  16. I think I was around 14 and found all those programs seriously believable, lol!!

    Matt, that's one I stole from deviantart.com years and years ago. They had (have) some of the most artistic people doing all kinds of cool graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and Dad had to explain to me early on that the prison camps run by the Luftwaffe were nothing like "Hogan's Heroes"... :|

      deviantart rocks. Especially the deviant art. ;)

      Delete
    2. Mom and Dad had to explain to me early on that the prison camps run by the Luftwaffe were nothing like "Hogan's Heroes"...

      lol!! Glad I wasn't the only gullible one, lewy!

      Delete
    3. Roller Derby was sort of salacious viewing back in those days. So risque! So outré!

      :-D

      Delete