Thursday, September 1, 2011

How a TV show says Goodbye to a Character

OK. Call me a sentimentalist. I appreciate good writing for movies and TV that grab you by the heart without making you feel as though you are being manipulated.

The English Soap Opera “Coronation Street” debuted in December 1960. Fay traveled by time machine to see the premier episode and has been a fan ever since. Like any soap, characters come and they go. Some of the characters become part of your life.

In 1977, a married couple entered the cast, Jack and Vera Duckworth, played by William Tarmey and Elizabeth Down. They were not a perfect couple; they were a real life couple. But they loved each other.

Having been on the show for years, and starting off as a middle-aged couple, the Duckworths were getting along in years by 2008. At that point, Elizabeth Down, in less than perfect health, felt that she needed to retire from the show. As a result, her character, Vera, died.

By 2010, William Tarmey wanted to retire. He was convinced to stay on a bit longer as the show neared its fiftieth anniversary. He agreed. His leaving the show, aired in November, 2010 in the UK, was one of the most beautiful pieces of TV script writing I have ever seen, bringing Down back for Tarmey’s final scene – a feat of brilliance.



This week the show finally hit the CBC (we are about ten months behind in Canada). While I saw this scene many months ago on YouTube, Fay wanted to wait until the show came up.

I won’t go into the plot details; I think you should just enjoy some fine script writing that says goodbye to a beloved character.

The bad news is that the CBC who is more concerned with showing the 472nd promo for the Rick Mercer Report than keeping a program intact, butchered the scene. I had to show this scene on YouTube to Fay for her to appreciate the beauty of it.

I know you probably do not know the show, but I hope you enjoy some great writing and acting.

6 comments:

  1. As an aside, Ken Barlow, played by William Roache, the man who raises his glass as Jack leaves the pub, is the lone original cast member dating back to December, 1960. Roache may not yet have the record, but he is one of the longest lasting actors in a continuing role in the history of any media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me a sentimentalist.

    OK, I'm calling it. You're a sentimentalist.

    ;)

    But then one would have to be wrought of stone not to be moved by this scene. Poignant, and numinous.

    Thanks for posting, I never would have encountered it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Matt. The last scene, with the son? No words, just the emotion felt at a loved ones death. Came right through the screen and grabbed me, hard. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that was lovely and poignant. I'm all choked up. Excuse me while I dab my eyes and indulge myself with a maudlin sigh...that was awesome script writing and top-notch acting.

    Thanks for sharing this Matt and Fay. Lewy, I had to look up "numinous". Great word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needless to say Matt had never heard of this show either, before he met me. I'm a lifetime fan. Coronation Street, or Corrie, as it is affectionately known is a brilliant, down to earth soap that shows characters with flaws and without make up. Is it stupid and over the top some times? Of course it is. But it has and always had wickedly funny characters and situations. The passing of Jack is an end of era, truly.

    Luther, the scene at the end with Tyrone is very sweet. Tyrone is not Jack's son he is a character that entered the show in his teens, a fatherless boy whose mother is a petty theif and con woman. Jack and Vera took him in and over the years their relationship became one of parents and child. What made that scene extra special was that Tyrone called Jack "Dad" he had never done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fay, thanks for the further explanation. It reinforces the specialness of the writing that someone with no knowledge of the series could see, and with no dialog, understand emotional depth of that scene. Though I suppose it was somewhat obvious, too.

    ReplyDelete