Sunday, October 3, 2010

Coq Au Vin

It's what's for dinner!



I've made this dish a few times before but this Alton Brown recipe from the Food Network is outstanding.

I made a few changes (don't we all?) I used regular bacon instead of salt pork. I used one bottle of wine and 750 ml of chicken stock. I also didn't do the 45 minute reduction at the end and thickened the sauce with a cornstarch slurry.

Anyway, all this is just as any cook would do in accordance with their taste.

But, if you stick to the basic ingredients and cooking methods of this recipe you will have one of the most delicious meals ever!

Yum Yum.

8 comments:

  1. 750 ml of chicken stock

    I haz no beakerz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I iz!

    imgw:"http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/redhawkclan/beaker.jpg"

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school, we made Coq Au Vin in French class. It was good, but VERY rich. VERY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 750 ml is equal to ~ 25.36 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lewy - for most recipes, a rough approximation of 250 ml = 1 cup works just fine.

    Fay, that recipe sounds incredible...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lady red - LOL!

    Thanks for the metric conversions Lyana and Pamela - though mostly I was just not used to seeing metric used in recipes. I had this vision of cooking with a full set of pyrex beakers from high school science lab...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fay, that recipe sounds incredible...

    And it tastes even more incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have both sets of measuring tools here, and I convert recipes often.

    ReplyDelete