Monday, October 1, 2018

Tales from the past and the present

When I was in high school, I used to spend my Saturday nights hanging out at the local radio station. One Saturday night when I was a junior, as I was driving over to the station I saw a girl I knew from school walking alone. She was about my age but I had not seen her since our sophomore year, but we did know each other a little bit. The question came to mind: Hmmm, hang out at the station or maybe spend the evening with a girl?

So I hung a u-turn and pulled up next to her.

"Do you need a ride?"

She nodded her head and climbed into the car. As we drove along I noticed that something was bothering her.

"Is anything wrong?" I asked.

"It's my husband."

(Oh crap.)

"He beats me when he has been drinking."

(Oh holy crap.)

"And he's been drinking."

(Oh holy crap I hope I live to see tomorrow morning.)

I dropped her off her house which was surrounded by a large gravel lot. I did my best not to spray gravel as I got the hell out of there. But I remember the incident, and she told someone about it (me).

Point: I did not know this girl THAT well, but I could tell that something was wrong. There may not have been much I could do about it, but I did as much as I knew how to do at the time. And she told me about it. Compare that with Christine Blasey Ford who, after being groped/attempted raped/raped did not seem to exhibit any signs to anyone who knew her that anything was wrong. She has not been able to find anyone to corroborate her allegations.

Two years later I had a girlfriend. Somehow we got into a discussion about rape. I said that I could understand what a terrible thing it must be to be raped. She told me in no uncertain terms that there was no way, as I was a man, that I could have any idea what it was like to be raped. This went on for a couple of minutes after which I said, "You're right. There is no way I could appreciate what it would be like to be raped."

She got a very pained look on her face and, almost in tears, said "You're like all other men. You didn't even TRY to understand what it is like to be raped."

In other words, a man is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Radio stations have regular callers. Not to say that they are "groupies" as the term usually means, but they tend to call up whomever is on the air. There was one regular caller. Her calls usually went something like this, and there is little in the way of exaggeration here:

"When I left the house to go to work, I bumped into the mailman who tried to rape me. I went down to the corner to catch the bus. When I got on the bus, the bus driver tried to rape me. When I got off the bus downtown, I went into a 7-11 to get a cup of coffee. The clerk tried to rape me."

Now were are supposed to believe some vague accusations from a woman who was supposedly fondled/attemted raped/raped in the early 1980's by Judge Kavanaugh. She does not know exactly when this took place. She does not know where it took place. But we are supposed to take her word as gospel because women never lie about such things. Emmett Till, Duke lacrosse team, and many others not withstanding.

We need to confirm Judge Kavanaugh. Now. We need to support those women who are sexually assaulted, but we need to take the weapon of false accusations out of the political arena.

17 comments:

  1. The woman who said she was being beaten needed to go elsewhere than her home. I know there are dozens of reasons claimed that a woman will allow herself to be abused that way, but not one of them makes sense to me, sorry.

    We do need to confirm Kavanaugh, not only because he is eminently qualified, but also to show the left that their lies and assaults on America & Americans will no longer work.

    That is likely to lead to violence in the streets, as they move to the next phase of their plan to control the country, but violence in the streets will, in the end, be what is needed to stop them.

    It is not as though they will ever stop themselves from some non-existent sense of decency

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I recall she was walking home from a party where her husband was drinking. Today I would (like to think I would) suggest that she get her things and go someplace else and that I would wait. Looking back I bet my parents would have taken her in, at least for the short term. But I was 16 at the time.

    I know there are shitty men. out there. I also know there are shitty women out there. I have heard the statistic that male on female domestic violence is about the same as female on male and male on male gay domestic violence. The type of violence that is significantly higher is in female on female lesbian relationships.

    Feminists are quoted as saying that childbirth is rape. If everything is rape then nothing is rape.

    Using sexual assault as a political tool does nobody any good -- especially the true survivors of rape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience over the years has been that women are like cats you see on the street... if they truly need your help, they will find a way to let you know.

      (Sorry if that sounds f**k'd up but I mean it in the nicest possible way.)

      I helped a woman out of a dicy situation. Crazy Iranian dude after her ass (to bang, not kill.) Caribbean, spring break '81 - I was 18. She was older - thirty something? Hard to tell. She wanted me to play boy toy so he'd go away. Seemed like the right thing to do. All I had to do was man up while he got in my face. I had all I could do not to laugh. Not because he couldn't kill me - he was older, and big, and pretty damn terrifying as he as screaming at me that he was going to kill me. No I had all I could do not to laugh because I was high on LSD and vodka and pot (muh fav cocktail in those days). Did I mention I was just 18? And wicked, wicked naive.

      [... much detail elided ... ]

      Aaaaand I woke up the next day still alive. :|

      Point being: they let you know. Even young naive kids can be effective proxies. If they need to be. It's shocking how easy it is to do the right thing, honestly.

      If you didn't act, it was because she didn't invite you to. If she wanted your help, or needed your help, she would have let you know. Somehow.

      But she didn't, and that may be because she'd made a decision on how to handle things. That may have been a good decision, or a bad one, but it was hers to make.

      I'm not sure I'd handle the situation any different myself, even today.

      Delete
  3. First of all I can't get my head around a sixteen year old who was married. Let alone married long enough to have been beaten numerous times. SMH. What the actual fuck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ that scene is poignant for the Twin Peaks fans - the movie is a *prequel* to the series; you see here Shelly's marriage to Leo begin to devolve into waking and unending nightmare... in about thirty seconds.

      (Shelly's a teen dropout bride iirc.)

      Delete
    2. The sickest thing about that scene was the calibration with which Shelly gets smacked.

      That's the horrible thing about domestic violence.

      Not that it isn't livable.

      But that it is.

      Delete
  4. I don't personally know anyone who has been raped. I came close once when I was 13. I talked my way out of it (four guys 18-24 years old my guesstimate). I also outsmarted a guy who held a knife to my throat when I was 19 (he was a "guest" at a house party in my digs) he thought I had stolen his wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a reason I'd made a mental note decades ago not to scr*w with you, Fay.

      My father's generation would have styled you "one tough broad", and meant it as a hearty complement.

      (He would have been one hundred this august.)

      Delete
    2. My father would have been 93 today (Wednesday).

      Delete
    3. My father admired men who had the intestinal fortitude to choose women who were tough broads.

      In his case, he was basically *wtf* when *one chose him* and he was like ok I guess... (!)

      Delete
  5. Yup lewy, I'm a tough "broad" as you put it. I take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TCKT: Where tough broads and dashing gentlemen gather!

      Sure. That works. I bet it works even better with Bourbon! ;)

      Delete
  6. My mother was widowed when I was 5. There was no welfare. Or food banks. Or social housing. She did what she had to do to keep us sheltered and fed and clothed. Her determination shaped my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the very worst thing about Ford's lies and the whole "always believe the woman" is that women who HAVE been raped will not be taken seriously.

    Someone very close to me was brutally raped at age 13, and spent a week in the hospital recovering.

    Also, someone very close to me accused a man of rape thinking her ex would feel protective towards her and take her back. The man was cleared of wrongdoing during the military investigation, but I'm sure his reputation never fully recovered.

    As far as sexual "assault": I don't know of even one woman who hasn't dealt with an aggressive male. Hell, I was once assaulted in a dentist's chair! I had to fast talk my way out of it, with a mouth full of novacaine, by agreeing to meet said dentist that night. Needless to say I never met him or went back. I didn't report it because I was young and embarrassed by the whole thing. And then I went on with my life, no problem.

    Like Fay, my mama raised us girls tough.

    I've been sickened watching the circus surrounding Judge K. It's awful; it's beyond awful.

    ReplyDelete