Saturday, August 2, 2014

Counting Crows - Round Here



Twenty years ago this summer, this single was in heavy rotation on MTV - yeah, back when they played music videos.

Twenty years ago I had memorized the lyrics to this song and sang it in the shower. Daily. Loud.

So what was up with me?



My first cat, who adopted me and taught me love and loyalty, passed away suddenly. The Vet said I did real good by her, but she had FIV and wasn't meant to last in this world.

My relationship with my girlfriend, with whom I shared a rented house in the Sierra Nevada foothills, was drifting away from me. She was flakey; I was mercurial. Well matched in the physical chemistry department, but while that's necessary, after a while it's not sufficient.

I traveled east for my college roommate's wedding, returning in the middle of the night to find the apartment listings on the kitchen counter, with several circled. She moved out within a month. Booty call lasted well into November - yeah, one of those. I didn't mind.

So - alone in a house with a box of cat ashes, an empty bed from the second lingering but failed relationship in as many years, not even counting the divorce from the starter wife back in the east coast the prior year...

At the job I had moved across the country for, I had impressed some and pissed of many more - out of concern for "integrity" which many around me read - mostly correctly - as a prickly sensitivity. I had a couple of shipping products, a decent stack of US patents, a nice stash of lucrative stock options - and no real clear future. Again.

I was thirty one; too old for bitter Holden Caulfield naiveté and too young for the defeated cynicism of middle age.

And as I realized my former lives were dying, in a way, and my former selves with them, I had to stop seeing my life as one damn thing after another, that life had choices - that it demanded choices, in fact, and I needed to start making some, and being responsible for them.

By the next spring, I had. That's another story, for another time, maybe never. But for August, and everything after that year, this some was pretty much how I felt.

Twenty years ago. What was up with you?

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, lewy. It's nice to get a little insight into my friend's lives here on the Table. If you hadn't gone though all that sadness you wouldn't have arrived at the place you are now, with someone you love.

    Yes, I am the Queen of the Bleeding Obvious.

    :-)

    I was on cloud nine 20 years ago, we just celebrated our 20th anniversary in June. I memorized the lyrics to this song back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated anniversary florrie and Mr. florrie! I love you guys! And thanks for the wonderful post lewy. It's nice to get our minds off the worry for Israel, at least for a brief time. I love you too, Mr. lewy. :)

      Delete
    2. RHCP! I really enjoy a lot of their stuff. This thread is bringing back good musical memories.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, lady red. It is hard to believe that 20 years have gone by.

      smooches

      Delete
  2. I never heard that Counting Crows song before, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loved Counting Crows when he was a teenager, and introduced me to their music. I still enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. Oh lordy, 20 years ago. I was fresh out of a second failed marriage, had lost my business in the financial debris that a divorce brings, down and out, raising a 14 year old son, and cooking in a restaurant because I was too mentally and emotionally beat up to do anything else. It seems like a lifetime ago! It WAS a lifetime ago. Even though I was dead set against ever, ever, EVER marrying again, EVER, I would within two years be blessed with a best friend who brought the fun, the laughter, and the joy of life back into my existence. A fishing buddy. A make-a-homemade-pizza and watch black and white movies buddy. A friend who loved spending time with a boy who desperately needed a solid male influence in his life. Noah, Jason and I have blossomed together as a family, but it's those hard times that make us savor what we now have. We will be celebrating 18 years next month, and he is still my best friend and fishing buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, lady red. I'm so glad you & Noah found each other.

      Delete
    2. Now back outside to move hoses and cut down more blackberry vines finding their way into our yard from adjoining properties...

      Sheesh it's frickin' HOT our there, damn. A solid 2 weeks of 80's & 90's, Fay & Matt know what I'm talking about...

      Delete
    3. Oh gosh, those blackberry vines can be so invasive, and they're almost impossible to control. Take it easy in the heat dear florrie!

      Delete
  4. Yes, happy belated anniversary flo! Glad you like the song...

    lady red - I'm so glad you found your soul-mate. Sometimes when you stop looking, they just show up...

    ---

    OK that's the first and last time I try Ambien-blogging.

    Seems I got away with it without too much embarrassment (except for the grammar and typos).

    It's just that I realized it had been twenty years since my cat died, and I got writing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the good wishes, lewy.

    You can blog on Ambien any time. I always think of you when I water my rose, Louis XIV.

    ReplyDelete