Monday, October 24, 2011

How a new Israeli attache renounced his U.S. citizenship

Foreign diplomats are not allowed to hold American citizenship as well as their official citizenship. So what's an American-born diplomat to do when he is appointed to represent his country in the United States? Sadly, he has no choice but to renounce his American citizenship.

These circumstances recently arose for Eli Groner who has been named Israel's minister for economic affairs to the United States. JTA has the beautifully eloquent statement he submitted to the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv. I think you will find it as moving as I did.

Because I love America, it is with hesitant hands and a heavy heart that I am writing this note. I never expected to request revocation of my citizenship, and while I certainly understand the circumstances requiring me to do so, it is important for me to share with you why I have decided to take this step.

The United States has a perfectly sensible law that does not allow for diplomats from foreign countries serving in the U.S. to hold U.S. citizenship. The fact that this is eminently reasonable doesn’t make this any less difficult.

Much of who I am is based on my childhood in the U.S.; as a 4th-generation American growing up in quintessential Small-Town America, the values inculcated in me in school and at home were American. Many of those values are shared by Israel, which I believe to be the destined homeland for Jewish people of all nations. As Israel builds its place among the nations, it has much to learn not only from its Jewish and biblical roots, but also from the ideological foundations which built the United States of America – the greatest country of the past 240 years.

Every week in synagogue, Jews around the world read a portion of the Bible. Last week, we read the Ten Commandments. One of the many lessons of these commandments is that the Jewish nation left Egypt not simply to survive, but rather with a greater purpose of building a just and moral society. Now, some 3,300 years after the revelation at Sinai and 63 years after the establishment of the State of Israel -- two of the most momentous occasions in Jewish history -- the guidance from Sinai is all the more relevant. In this spirit, a very small piece of what Israel needs to do is to continually strengthen its economic foundations. Like other dimensions required in building the State of Israel, I consider this to be my generation’s holy work; therefore, when I was asked by Israel’s Finance Minister to serve as the country’s Minister of Economic Affairs to Washington, the decision to accept was easy. That doesn’t make my decision any less painful.

...

One can love two countries just as one loves two parents. Today, I voluntarily give up my citizenship, but I do not give up my values; indeed, in giving up my citizenship to help further the economic development and strength of Israel in a diplomatic role, I believe I am living those values I was educated to cherish. During my 10 years of schooling in wonderful Upstate New York, I pledged allegiance to the flag of the United States each and every day. And today, more than ever and despite the renunciation of my citizenship, I remain committed to the Republic for which it stands.

God bless America; land that I love.

Read it all. You'll be glad you did.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, annie. I can't add so can only agree with you, beautiful and elegant. A man with his heart in all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last paragraph and sentence brought tears to my eyes.

    This is an unusual and moving story, thank you for finding and posting it, annie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What with the IRS viciously pursuing American citizens living ex-pat (often for decades) for back taxes owing, this may prove to be the most advantageous act this chap ever does. I cannot believe the extent to which the IRS is chasing US citizens- taking the "long-arm" approach to new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's wrong, Earl?

    On the one hand you're disgusted with Mr. Black for breaking the law and here you're disgusted with the IRS for pursuing people who broke the law.

    Have a Molson and cheer up, life is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. annie, Thank you. ummm, just thank you. And whomever wrote this, I hold no ill will regarding citizenship (might have jumped when the jumping is good :-)). The state of the US is pretty deplorable. We can't survive under another 4 years of divide and conquer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. florrie, what you don't realize is Earl has billions in the Caymans and with the bonus of you just outing his criminal conspirator name of 'Mr. Black.' I'd be mad too.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. floranista:

    My opinion of Black (exclusive of his scholarship) was low well before his convictions, but not "disgusted". It's always easier to make a hundred million from a million than $100 from a dollar... especially when a couple of frail old ladies are there to facilitate.

    I am not "disgusted" by the IRS actions- it is only a manifestation of the abysmal condition of American public finance. I reckon that this Israeli fellow may have made a very smart financial decision (assuming that the IRS approves of his relinquishing citizenship- it is not as simple as merely filling in a form).

    But I will add to my Black post- his other monumentally stupid action was to voluntarily relinquish his Canadian citizenship. Absent a waiver from PM Harper, he cannot legally enter Canada. Period.

    RWC:

    LOL. I only wish that I had excess millions!- I'm just a toiling wage serf to Canada Revenue Agency like the rest of my hapless co-citizens...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, Earl, thanks for responding. You just seemed out of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well of course he's out of sorts, florrie. In this economy, I'd be surprised if anyone can afford to buy them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. rimshot

    img:"http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/lewy14/rimshot.gif"

    ReplyDelete