Thursday, June 5, 2014

"Together We Shall Achieve Victory"

I fear the world will never see their like again. I am humbled by their sacrifices. Thank you seems so inadequate, but thank them I do.

Operation Overlord

In January 1944, General Dwight Eisenhower (1890-1969) was appointed commander of Operation Overlord. In the months and weeks before D-Day, the Allies carried out a massive deception operation intended to make the Germans think the main invasion target was Pas-de-Calais (the narrowest point between Britain and France) rather than Normandy. In addition, they led the Germans to believe that Norway and other locations were also potential invasion targets. Many tactics was used to carry out the deception, including fake equipment; a phantom army commanded by George Patton and supposedly based in England, across from Pas-de-Calais; double agents; and fraudulent radio transmissions.

A Weather Delay: June 5, 1944

Eisenhower selected June 5, 1944, as the date for the invasion; however, bad weather on the days leading up to the operation caused it to be delayed for 24 hours. On the morning of June 5, after his meteorologist predicted improved conditions for the following day, Eisenhower gave the go-ahead for Operation Overlord. He told the troops: “You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you.”

Later that day, more than 5,000 ships and landing craft carrying troops and supplies left England for the trip across the Channel to France, while more than 11,000 aircraft were mobilized to provide air cover and support for the invasion.

D-Day Landings: June 6, 1944

By dawn on June 6, thousands of paratroopers and glider troops were already on the ground behind enemy lines, securing bridges and exit roads. The amphibious invasions began at 6:30 a.m. The British and Canadians overcame light opposition to capture beaches codenamed Gold, Juno and Sword, as did the Americans at Utah Beach. U.S. forces faced heavy resistance at Omaha Beach, where there were over 2,000 American casualties. However, by day’s end, approximately 156,000 Allied troops had successfully stormed Normandy’s beaches. According to some estimates, more than 4,000 Allied troops lost their lives in the D-Day invasion, with thousands more wounded or missing.

Less than a week later, on June 11, the beaches were fully secured and over 326,000 troops, more than 50,000 vehicles and some 100,000 tons of equipment had landed at Normandy.

For their part, the Germans suffered from confusion in the ranks and the absence of celebrated commander Rommel, who was away on leave. At first, Hitler, believing the invasion was a feint designed to distract the Germans from a coming attack north of the Seine River, refused to release nearby divisions to join the counterattack. Reinforcements had to be called from further afield, causing delays. He also hesitated in calling for armored divisions to help in the defense. Moreover, the Germans were hampered by effective Allied air support, which took out many key bridges and forced the Germans to take long detours, as well as efficient Allied naval support, which helped protect advancing Allied troops.

In the ensuing weeks, the Allies fought their way across the Normandy countryside in the face of determined German resistance, as well as a dense landscape of marshes and hedgerows. By the end of June, the Allies had seized the vital port of Cherbourg, landed approximately 850,000 men and 150,000 vehicles in Normandy, and were poised to continue their march across France.

Courtesy: History Channel

18 comments:

  1. So great to see the POTUS showing his respect in Normandy today by chewing gum. Yes. Really. Broadcast to the entire wide world. The POTUS chewing gum at the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

    Despicable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something deeply and disturbingly wrong with Obama. He has no sense of propriety, no empathy, and no emotional investment in the American experience. He is...what am I trying to say? A cardboard cutout. A child in a man's suit. A leader out-of-place and uncomfortable with other world leaders. A CIC that has never led men, and who doesn't even wear the pants in his own family. A foreign policy architect who stamps his little feet at a former KGB agent, and then draws meaningless "lines in the sand" to scare bloodthirsty despots...in crayon. An ambassador who chews gum at somber remembrances.

      Thanks for the D-Day post Fay. What happened at Normandy profoundly changed history. Sometimes it's hard to believe our culture has changed so radically in a handful of decades. There is no understanding or explaining it.

      Delete
  2. Did you all see the video of Obama working out in the gym? What in Sam Hill is THAT all about? I have never in my life seen anyone, man, woman, or child, gay, straight, black, white, or purple, healthy or sick, exercise like that. Ever. If he is truly that weak and delicate, he should resign his post. Women have more testosterone than this dude. Heck, butterflies have more testosterone than this dude!

    And... we're all supposed to believe the man in the video fathered two children. With a resentful, hateful, jealous, bruiser of a woman. Um, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just dawned on me who Obama reminds me of...Ben Stiller in Zoolander.

      A MerMan. Obama is a MerMan.

      Heaven help us all.

      Delete
    2. Derek Zoolander: What? Are you here to tell me what a bad eugoogoolizer I am?

      Matilda: A what?

      Derek Zoolander: A eugoogoolizer... you know one who speaks at funerals.

      [Matilda looks at Derek confused]

      Derek Zoolander: Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was?

      Delete
    3. [after being in a coal mine for a day]

      Derek Zoolander: [high-pitched cough] ... I think I'm getting the Black Lung, Pop. It's not very well ventilated down there.

      Larry Zoolander: For Christ's sake, Derek, you've been down there one day. Talk to me in thirty years.

      Delete
    4. Derek Zoolander: So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?

      :))

      Okay, I'll stop.

      Delete
    5. LOL lady red. I've never seen Zoolander, I gather it's worth watching?

      Delete
    6. It's hilarious Fay! I've seen it twice and LMAO both times.

      Delete
    7. lr, I have to interject - if you saw me work out your impression would be similarly negative. Pathetic is not too strong a word. (I haven't seen the video but something about your description resonated with me.) I have to be very, very careful. I can only really push at all when I'm properly supervised. Little tweaks and injuries that are no big deal to most people just destroy me.

      I was winning bike races a dozen years ago. Now I can barely do squats.

      Why? "Inflammation sucks" is the short story.

      I do recall hearing Obama quit playing basketball because he was afraid of injury. I can relate. Seems likely he started noticing he didn't bounce off the floor so good anymore.

      Testosterone is a red herring. Mine is fine. (I'm at the age where they check it.) Similarly I retain my ability to act in a professional capacity.

      So while I think there's a ton of reasons why Obama hasn't been a great president, if he's working out looking like a wuss because he's so careful, I'd say... props to him. He's a better man than me, I'm loafing because I got so frustrated. Gotta get back in the gym, no matter how lame a workout I do.

      But the Zoolander thing? Oh yeah. Oh yeah.

      Delete
    8. Lewy, darling, sweetheart,

      Watch the video.

      It's hilarious and pitiful all at the same time. I'm as creaky as you are, but next to Obama I'll bet we look like Olympians. Booya! lol

      Delete
    9. Poor form. He's actually not being so careful. He looks like he's half awake and jet lagged.

      The lunges didn't look half bad.

      But that thing where he's flapping his arms around like a chicken, I have no idea what that's about. I don't even recognize that exercise. His shoulders are all shrugged up; he'll hurt himself that way.

      He needs a better trainer; he should take the time to learn proper posture and set himself before he starts a move.

      He looks like he's just going through the motions and would rather be somewhere else. Like wherever his mind is, which is not present. Seems to be a trend with him; one that absolutely everyone across the spectrum is noticing. That this nature of his is now universally recognized is gratifying.

      But the truth is, yeah, he's in better shape than I am. Which I suspected.

      I tend not to share my ailments but I haven't been so good over the past few years.

      Delete
  3. Fay, I can't believe you haven't seen Zoolander. It's a must-see.

    Mugatu is my favorite halloween costume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh woot, Zoolander is available on Netflix Canada! That's a first, any other movie I have searched for 'ISN'T AVAILABLE IN Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right, I just watched and see what all the hilarity is about.

      "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills"

      And this one had me LMAO:

      "I can derelict my own balls, thank you very much"

      Delete
  5. Mugatu's a DICK! He wants Derek to kill the Claymation dude!

    ReplyDelete