Tuesday, January 8, 2019

More fancy picking

Lady Red's post of Douglas Dillard made me think of this tune by the David Grisman Quintet.

This album was recorded in Berkeley 1976 and got heavy airplay on a non-traditional country station in Santa Rosa the following spring. I saw the quintet play at the 1977 Sonoma-Marin Fair.

The rest of the album, primarily written by Grisman, strikes me as more traditional mandolin style music, although aficionados of the genre say it was revolutionary. This track was written by the guitar player, Tony Rice.

I can't imagine how anybody would not get into the grove of this track. My favorite part of it is Rice's guitar playing. Not only is is the rhythm fantastic, his solo is just so smooth it puts silk to shame.

I don't know where the 51 comes from, but oh does it swing.

4 comments:

  1. You're right. This is excellent. All of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot dawg, that was heavenly! Jazzy and cool and funky. I love this group's music. Grisman even cut an album with Ricky Skaggs.

    Bluegrass is fusion music; you can do anything with it, and it can lead down wonderful musical paths. The best part about bluegrass is that each musician gets a break to strut their stuff.

    Grisman is to the mandolin what Fleck is to the banjo. Awesome. Thank you Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sampled some of this. It's awesome.

    It is, however, Rye Whisky music, and I don't get any of that until I'm done with homework. (So to speak.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there's this pseudo-scotch "Single Malt Whisky" the local distillery makes that is delicious and goofy and would pair perfectly with this. ;)

      Delete