Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Building A Genetic Atlas of Humanity

This work  is fascinating.

"As of last month, Dr. Reich’s team has published about three-quarters of all the genome-wide data from ancient human remains in the scientific literature. But the scientists are only getting started.
They also have retrieved DNA from about 3,000 more samples. And the lab refrigerators are filled with bones from 2,000 more denizens of prehistory.
Dr. Reich’s plan is to find ancient DNA from every culture known to archaeology everywhere in the world. Ultimately, he hopes to build a genetic atlas of humanity over the past 50,000 years.
“I try not to think about it all at once, because it’s so overwhelming,” he said."
Dem bones, dem bones

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Lady Red. Greg Cochran has some thoughts on Reich. I think we're finally starting to get a handle on this DNA shit. Perhaps shortly after I die the code will be broken, and all will be known by all from what drunken debauchery of DNA we were spawned. Mine, I suspect, from a lowly foot solider patrolling the walls of Troy... who got lucky on a short leave, and his kid lived.

    Hope all is well with all here. Was cleaning favorites and looked at DL. How did that story end up I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XRay – thanks for the link!

      We have genetic samples from the Yamnaya, and genetic analysis has shown that were the product of a nearly 50-50 mix between two populations: eastern hunter-gatherers from Russia, and a population that has affinities to the Iranian farmers at the eastern end of the fertile crescent. The closest existing population to that second ingredient of Yamnayya ancestry are backwoods Georgians (Dzugashvili, not Carter) – Mingrelians. Lavrentiy Beria was Mingrelian, if that helps.

      Oh that totally helps. It helps me roll on the floor and laugh my fucking ass off, to write it all out... my god, this guy is amazing.

      Delete
    2. Hi X-Ray! It's good to "see" you!

      I read Cochran's site regularly. I'm not educated enough to comment there, but I'm intrigued with genetics.

      Delete
  2. My son recently told me that he did Ancestry DNA. It said he was 47% Irish. If my father were 100% Irish, which I believe he is, that would only account for 25%. While there might be a smattering of Irish elsewhere, I don't think there is THAT much.

    Speaking of my son: he will be sailing to the Marshal Islands starting this week. The trip should take about 60 days. If you have any prayers for a safe voyage that you could offer up, they would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting stuff. We (my sister) did ours and found more northern Europe than we thought we had, rather than German.

    My prayers for a safe and enjoyable voyage for your son, Matt

    ReplyDelete