Friday, January 12, 2018

Flu Season

I belong to a closed group facebook page with 659,000 other nurses. They are massively reporting that nationwide hospitals are over-capacity, patients are being housed in hallways and surgical units, and some hospitals have resorted to putting up tents in the parking lots. Many ER's are on divert status, with no where to divert. Hospital staff are dropping like flies. Nurses who have been practicing 30-40 years are reporting that this is the worst flu season they've ever seen.

I don't know why this isn't on the news. Perhaps they're trying to prevent a panic. So heads up my friends: if you have the flu, stay home. Hell, if you don't have the flu, stay home! There are two very nasty strains going around. This year's flu shot missed the mark (again).

Remember that the flu is a virus, and antibiotics won't help. Crawl under a bunch of warm soft blankets, keep hydrated, and use tylenol for the pain. Don't go anywhere near a hospital, clinic, or doctor's office if you can help it. If you have underlying health issues, be aware that many ER's are so overwhelmed they are taking STEMI (heart attack) patients only. Other ER's have a wait time of 10-12 hours in the big cities, less in rural areas.

Stay well!



5 comments:

  1. Hearing more reports: folks waiting 24 hours in the ER for a bed. And...housing flu patients in psych units! Oh lord. There MUST be a good joke in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lr - I will be passing this on to folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I typed a comment. I hit PUBLISH. Comment disappeared. I am too cranky to reenter it.

    But I did comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, perhaps it IS a good time to be out of work, and staying home due to miserably cold weather.

    In any case, I hope it passes by all here, as well as families & friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lord! I heard it was bad but didn't know it was *that* bad.

    Thanks for the tips, lady red.

    ReplyDelete