Sunday, August 24, 2014

Black Flag - White Minority



Black Flag. No, not the insecticide... not the jihadi flag either. The punk rock band.

I look at this not as music so much as an anthropological artifact... buried in the sedimentary layers. Thirty-four years ago - a different geological era, almost.

This is (some of) what Jourdan and I were listening to in high school. The rest of you maybe not so much... ;)

I anticipate lots of eye rolling and head scratching; if nothing else the comforting takeaway is that if we are in decline, it's been happening for a long time now. The title of the album which the first song is from is "The Decline of Western Civilization". Gotta say this about their stuff, it does what it says on the tin...

10 comments:

  1. "I anticipate lots of eye rolling and head scratching"

    Not even, just a swift off switch hit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an interview with the fashionable young lads which starts at 3:22.

      Delete
    2. Now, that takes me back. I was, as I think you know, very active in the L.A. punk sceen when Sheeris was filming this documentary and we were are pretty concerned about how it would turn out. The final product is okay, but really doesn't do justice to the political and artistic side of the punk movement.

      In any case, Black Flag (pre-poseur Henry Rollins imported from WashDC) was an amazing band to see live, almost a force of nature.

      For those who can't stomach hardcore punk at all, and are interested in what Lewy is attempting to point out here, here are the lyrics:

      We're gonna be a white minority
      We won't listen to the majority
      We're gonna feel inferiority
      We're gonna be white minority
      White pride
      You're an American
      I'm gonna hide
      Anywhere I can
      Gonna be a white minority
      We don't believe there's a possibility
      Well you just wait and see
      We're gonna be white minority
      White pride
      You're an American
      White pride
      Anywhere I can?
      Gonna be a white minority
      There's gonna be large cavity
      Within my new territory
      We're all gonna die.

      Delete
    3. Indeed. And sung by a nice Puerto Rican kid!

      Delete
  2. img:"http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/emoticons/gaa.png"

    I didn't make it past 48 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to be so late but I want to wish Fay & Matt both very happy belated birthdays! Hope you both had lovely celebrations.

    ReplyDelete