Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Coffee Break

Well, so here I am filling out the paperwork to schedule a testing date for Certified Nursing Assistant.  This is a required cert before I can enter the nursing program in January.  Anyhoo, I get all done, gather up the paperwork to mail, and then begin to collect proof of ID for the testing center, and...

I cannot find my social security card.  Seriously.  I can't even remember the last time I saw it!  For all these many years, it's nestled quietly among my credit cards, my drivers license, my voter registration card, my blood donor card...you know, all the bits and pieces of plastic and paper that are toted around by everyone with a pulse.

I've looked everywhere; through ancient files yellowed with age, in hubby's wallet, in the jockey box of the car, under the seats in the Bronco.  I looked in the waterproof paperwork pouch in the boat.  I looked in the pockets of coats I haven't worn in ages, and in my luggage.  I looked under the couch, under the fridge, in the toilet paper roll.  That sucker is GONE.

I just called the local Social Security Administration, and the young man laughed and said "bring your drivers license and come in tomorrow for an interview.  In 7-10 days, you'll have a replacement."

What?  You mean it's that easy?  I just destroyed my closets for nothing? 

Damn whippersnapper...time for another cup of coffee.


3 comments:

  1. Funny story, LR. Look on the bright side though, now you know where everything else in your life is. :)

    Somehow I've managed to hang on to my SS Card for fifty years. I have no idea how as I've made so many moves, etc. I signed it in pencil actually, as you know, this was before the invention of ball point pens.

    I like Maxine, hahaha... I've had plenty of stuff trot off without me, memory, slim gut, etc. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed my SS card with a stone stylus on a clay tablet. Well, not really. My card will be 38 this year. I laugh at how my signature looks -- the unmistakable appearance of a 15 year-old trying to make the first important signature of his life look impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha... exactly, RMM.

    "the unmistakable appearance of a 15 year-old trying to make the first important signature of his life look impressive. "

    It was a momentous occasion at the time, for all of us, well deserving an attempt at impressive. No matter how feigned.

    And thanks for the reminder of 'stone stylus'. There was life before me, huh?

    ReplyDelete